• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

MSD 6AL and Duraspark Distributor

gordonra

Donation Time
Just installed my Christmas present (MSD 6AL ignition module) in my V6.

So far it seems to idle and run much smoother on the low end which is where I'd expect to see the improvement. I haven't had it on the freeway yet because it's looking like rain, and I still have to clean up some wires.

I learned a little about the Duraspark distributor too...

The larger distributor has the same base as the smaller distributor. The difference is the addition of an adapter which increases the overall diameter. You can buy the adapter from MSD and use the larger cap and matching rotor if you want to upgrade.

Conversely, you can revert to the small distributor (if you desire) by removing the adapter and using the small cap its matching rotor.

MSD indicates that the smaller cap can be prone to crossfire due to ionization of the air inside. They recommend drilling a couple of vent holes in the cap at rotor level, between the terminals on the side away from the carb/intake.

voner44

Donation Time
hey rich do you have part numbers for ignition system am going your route i.e. port, 2.9 valves ect. want big spark need correct distributer for ranger block and ignition module will appreciate ..voner44

gdive

Donation Time
ignition

Howdy everyone. I went through some pain with upgrading the ignition. After much research and a little discussion with Jose, I chose to keep the Ford distributor. But I did upgrade to the Mallory Hfire and put in Magnecor wires, http://www.alamomotorsports.com/Magnecor/mag_ford.html

I also got a tuned distributor from DUI, http://performancedistributors.com/.
They set up the advance in it based on car weight, carb, and some other specs I gave them. It runs pretty nice and the advance curve is a little bit different in it. I am running the A4LD auto, and my vacuum is a little low for the advance diaphragm due to my cam, but they tuned it using my available vacuum and trans works a little better when I stand on it and it downshifts.
Greg

pcmenten

Donation Time
Greg, A4LD transmission? Very cool. Which cam do you have? I'd be interested to know what it took to fit that transmission; tunnel mods, shifter setup, headers fitment, etc.

Paul M.

Last edited:

gdive

Donation Time
A4ld

Hi PC, you can email me if you want some specifics on getting it to fit. I had Jose's fab guy custom make me a bracket. It needed a little tweaking once I got it from him, but I let him know the changes so if he still has the specs he can maybe make one for yours. My email is greggalvin66 at gmail