• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Moving post to new thread

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sometimes folks post to the wrong forum category, or a post in a thread goes off in a tangent from the original thread subject. Does the new forum software support an easy way for a moderator to move a thread to the correct 'category' or move a post within a thread to its own new thread?

Mike

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Sometimes folks post to the wrong forum category, or a post in a thread goes off in a tangent from the original thread subject. Does the new forum software support an easy way for a moderator to move a thread to the correct 'category' or move a post within a thread to its own new thread?

Mike

Yes. Moderators can move a single post to a different thread, a whole thread to a different forum or about a dozen other possible edits. It’s only a handful of clicks. I’ve done it a few times this week alone.

If I wanted to move your post to its own thread, it would take me three clicks, including the submit button.

Are you volunteering to be a moderator? ;0)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I sure hope He does. He would be a valuable asset to helping keep the board update with his knowledge of the Sunbeams..

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm willing to help as a moderator. I am usually on the site a couple of times a day. I would want to know the expectations of the role, as well as any forum rules that need to be enforced.

Who are the current moderators?

Thanks,
Mike

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Who are the current moderators?

Counting you? You.

The current and recent boards have moderation power. But as far as moderators are concerned, the list includes mostly people who haven't visited the site in years. It's an issue that will be discussed at the board meeting tonight.

Though there's nothing in the bylaws that dictates moderators' duties, moderators are responsible for policing the subform to which they're assigned.

Basically, moderators should:
  • Visit your assigned forum(s) every day
  • Move off-topic posts to other threads, create a new thread, or delete them as necessary
  • Watch for abusive, combative, disruptive posts that break the forum rules
  • Send a private message to users who break the rules and advise them of the consequences (or alert the board in the secret board/moderators forum)