• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Movie review

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, it’s good. I still like Le Mans and Grand Prix better but it’s as good as Rush, which is pretty dang good.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes it was a good movie. They could have scrubbed the signage better Laundromat NOT LAVANDERIA . The big jets taking off in the background with The Deuce's DC 3 in the foreground and many others even the late Schwinn Sting Ray like a 78 the kid is riding. A true spoke and gear head would have a 64 Sting Ray with a flat banana seat by Pearsons with a flat sissy bar and a wide butterfly handle bar. Someone said there was a Tiger crash in there going to wait till its on video but certainly worth my 5 dollar rainy day matinee time :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Why couldn't they show Ken's series 3 FP in the back of his house or workshop... Or his red #50 Tiger.... Or the yellow shelby Tiger...... Or the.....

Maybe they can do a prequel.. Miles the early years.... :rolleyes:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Why couldn't they show Ken's series 3 FP in the back of his house or workshop... Or his red #50 Tiger

I agree ! The movie was really about Shelby and Miles and just shows the arrogance of the Ford corporation. Glad that Miles
was given more of the credit that has been overdue for some time. It is a good movie and I enjoyed seeing it. I'll watch
it again when it comes to the small screen.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
The movie wasn't about the Tiger if you think along those lines then they should have included the Falcon. it was just about 1966LM by the way there was a doc. on discovery last nite that go's into more about it like the failures in 65 and Surtees deal etc. etc. etc.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ummm there were about 50 Falcons on the assembly line all the econo boxes Enzo was talking about. The round plain Jane 4 doors probably with the 170 cu in boat anchor log manifold and cast iron head.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The movie wasn't about the Tiger if you think along those lines then they should have included the Falcon. it was just about 1966LM by the way there was a doc. on discovery last nite that go's into more about it like the failures in 65 and Surtees deal etc. etc. etc.

Joel my comments were tongue in cheek... Its nice Miles is getting such recognition. I started to learn about him from his early alpine F prod history before the Tiger involvement was on my radar. His exploits before shelby american were interesting... As were his efforts before being stateside. Good that Ken finally gets some recognition, most of the shleby story focuses on the guys who lived on.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I hit the IMAX, ... and the IMAX hit my ears!

Fortunately, I had planed for the attack and brought EAR PLUGS!!!

I don't know WHY the general public stands for such unbelievably loud sound.

A Great movie, even if it plays loose with the History and details.

Damon pulled off the Shelby part better than I expected.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Ummm there were about 50 Falcons on the assembly line all the econo boxes Enzo was talking about. The round plain Jane 4 doors probably with the 170 cu in boat anchor log manifold and cast iron head.
Shelby built a Falcon Sprint. They raced it at Laguna ,also from a post I've seen that it had IRS. I also owened a V8 powered 4speed car bought right off the showroom floor and had a friend that went to the flats with a Sprint and ran 155 mph.

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Joel my comments were tongue in cheek... Its nice Miles is getting such recognition. I started to learn about him from his early alpine F prod history before the Tiger involvement was on my radar. His exploits before shelby american were interesting... As were his efforts before being stateside. Good that Ken finally gets some recognition, most of the shleby story focuses on the guys who lived on.
Your right about him getting recognition for his acheviments, he eventually won in 67 and was inducted into the MSHOF not sure if that was after Riverside, he also built a 260 powered Alpine ,which I'm sure you know , which I suppose started it all, Shelby also raced a Tiger at Laguna Maybe Lew Spencer nothing like the Doane Spencer deal.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The car in question, at the Riverside track...

76607530_2645407822164214_8515309397793046528_o.jpg

46663950_1961790494127335_8881059209173532672_n.jpg

74682694_2645408538830809_5309964322556870656_o.jpg

46631806_10215986236160750_4345270537086304256_n.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Your right about him getting recognition for his acheviments, he eventually won in 67 and was inducted into the MSHOF not sure if that was after Riverside, he also built a 260 powered Alpine ,which I'm sure you know , which I suppose started it all, Shelby also raced a Tiger at Laguna Maybe Lew Spencer nothing like the Doane Spencer deal.

Joel,

Shelby was paid to run the first BP tiger, Lew Spencer raced it and so did Ken Miles at least once. The car had several big hits and was sold to sports car forum who raced it at the Bahamas speed week. It was further damaged and was rebodied with a fresh tiger shell from rootes.

Garrard then swicthed support to the HSC operation.

Ken also raced his own BP #50 Tiger .. His scca race number. His Series II and 3 FP Alpines also carried his #50.

#50 Series II:
images

#50 Series 3:
images

#50 tiger:
images

Ken in the shelby BP Tiger:
TN_Road_America-1964-09-13a-074.jpg

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Very nice I still have a 64 Falcon convertible and just sold my 65 Ranchero. I also owned a 65 hardtop with a 289 2v got 25mpg at 70 all day long. Obviously a 64 down to the gas cap in the picture above doubt it still had the 260. The point was the BS Hollywood would have us believe. They tried to rub in their point of boring cars and what better than the early Falcon four door what is that model doing on the line? As it is the round Falcon Sprint and 2 doors have done better in sales then the bigger 64 and 65 design, possibly as its more trim like the Mustang. Then then Enzo starts bargaining with Fiat can I spell cinquecento? now what a cute but boring econo box, apparently ok as they also made some neat DOHC roadsters and they'd pay more now that is believable. Obviously I like the square bodied Falcons better just wish they were not so boat like in handling. A shame that the IRS and other mods did not make it to production.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. I was curious about the accuracy of the film and did what always drives my wife crazy and researched the truth vs. Hollywood fiction. From what I could tell, they actually did a pretty good job of staying close to the truth, at least by Hollywood standards. Here is one of the articles I found: https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/ford-v-ferrari-fact-vs-fiction-le-mans-ken-miles.html. But, don't read it if you haven't seen the movie yet and want to keep some facts unknown.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yeah I looked up they start by saying the opening scene is in 1959 which cements Enzo's comment and the round Falcons on the production line. They do not spend much time there but to cast the Duece as a corporate bully.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Great, great movie, but I agree about the sound being too LOUD, at least in my theater. It's fine for the racing sequences, but it made Miles' Brit accent unintelligible at times.

And according to Car & Driver.com - no CGI was used! That deserves kudos by itself.

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Apparently, they also used real vintage race cars, which is pretty impressive, too!

Just curious: I found lots of comparisons between this and Rush when I was researching it online. From my perspective, this was hands down the better film, although others online certainly felt otherwise. Did anyone here feel like Rush was the better film?