• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mounting for Electric Fuel Pump

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry that I read the other postings after my comment. I'd give up a useless spare tire well to have an easily serviceable pump any day rather than a get down and dirty crawl guy to mess with the pump. The over feared fuel pump door and stock Tiger location is not so bad. May times my early Honda cycles have had a stuck float valve and dumped raw fuel onto a much hotter exhaust without becoming a Roman Candle. Clearly when changing I would pick the MK2 location though..
Personally, my #1 desire was to not have pressurized gasoline and fittings in the trunk. So I mounted the pump and filters under the trunk floor in the "shadow" of the spare tire mount.
Bill

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Most electric fuel pumps work best as PUSHERS, so mounting near the tank is best. Always install a filter BEFORE the pump where it is easy to replace or repair. Good grounding is always necessary but often overlooked, and do not forget HEAT sources. I used a Dupree on a 40 Ford for 12 years with zero trouble, but it was a carburetor car, and FI requires much higher pressure. I do not have experience with aftermarket FI pumps. Procraft has the "L" bracket bolted to the frame rail and the pump bolted to that, which looks like a very solid way to do it.
My electric fuel pump would only work as a pusher and, so I am told, do most of them. I tried mounting it under the hood next to the old mechanical pump location but going up a hill the fuel stopped flowing. My guess is that's why most are mounted right at or near the tank and down low.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
IMHO, Now you are thinking:) You are correct about the location and position highly recommended below or level with the bottom of the fuel tanks.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Mounting the pump even with or below the fuel tank allows the pump to self-prime when "ANY" fuel is in the tank. Remember those times when the gauge showed really, really low? THAT is when a self-primed pump looks really, really good.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
For my SI V6 conversion project I’m going with EFI. We just mocked in a new 15 gallon fuel tank with internal pump. Much quieter and out of the way compared to an in-line pump. It’s not the easiest option with a stock tank but since we are putting in a new one it seemed like the way to go.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am using a Ford in line high pressure pump mounted in a home made rubber sleeve, it is not noisy. Very easy and low buck.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I am using a Ford in line high pressure pump mounted in a home made rubber sleeve, it is not noisy. Very easy and low buck.

Bill
Did you have to take a can opener to remove it from a fuel tank :)
Pricing part number, picture would be nice as the SU is like 150 . I had to put a stock one on a stock car but I am a dyed in the wool personalized or modified guy....

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I never had NOISE problems with electric fuel pumps, having used them for 50 years. Where they are mounted is very important so they avoid road debris, and high-centering of the car. YES, I understand these things don't happen often...but I build drivers. Consider a car driving off an unseen curb, hitting a muffler that fell off an old car, driving through high water, snow, and mud. Keep fuel lines, electric wires, and brake lines ABOVE the bottom of the frame or floor pan in a unibody. If mounting the pump in rubber be sure to run a good ground wire. Protect the pump...it supplies fuel to the motor and if it is damaged can cause fire. Fuel Injection pumps produce much more pressure than a carburetor pump, so be extra careful if the pump is outside the tank. A carb pump pushes about 4 to 9 pounds pressure, while an FI pump produces between 30 and 70 PSI. THAT is why modern cars have a fuel shutoff switch in the trunk or some easy place for fire fighters to reach. I usually mount a cut-off switch on the dash for safety in an accident and to avoid theft. One Hot Rod (1933 Plymouth coupe with corvette V8) had dash switches that MUST be in certain positions to have the ignition on and the fuel pump on. A very simple way to add security to any car. We tested it and the car made it out the driveway...then died from lack of fuel. Imagine your favorite Sunbeam sitting in the middles of the road without a driver. Better than in the bad guys garage.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
I mount mine on the exterior of the battery box out of the way and easy to service if needed

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did you have to take a can opener to remove it from a fuel tank :)
Pricing part number, picture would be nice as the SU is like 150 . I had to put a stock one on a stock car but I am a dyed in the wool personalized or modified guy....
No, got it out of a cardboard box, sent to me by Rock Auto. The pump is an Airtex E2000, less than $60. It is designed to mount outside of the tank and to be fed gasoline by an intank pump. OEM, 1985 Ford F150. Works fine by gravity feed. A word of caution: It has + and - terminals and if wired incorrectly will run backwards and deliver zero fuel.

When first installed, it supplied fuel to a little Weber. From the pump, the fuel went to a Tee, one outlet returned fuel to the tank and the other ran to a regulator mounted in the engine compartment. Worked fine. As I recall, fuel flow resistance on the return line gave me about fifteen psi at the regulator. When I went to EFI the Tee was removed.

Bill