• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Motor oil V6 Cologne

Stratman101

Silver Level Sponsor
What motor oil are you all using in your V6 Cologne motors? I read somewhere Jose recommended 20/50? Is anyone using it? Any other recommendations?
Thanks all in advance.
Btw: My tappets seem unusually loud.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I like 15w 40 shell Rotella. But climate may have some determination as to what you use.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Every engine is different and the right oil for one can be totally wrong for another.

The right oil will not exceed 75 PSI on a cold start, will maintain at least 20 PSI at idle when stuck in traffic on a hot day and will maintain at least 10 PSI per 1000 RPM when running hard on a hot day.

A thermostatically controlled oil cooler may be necessary to meet those pressure requirements and about 1200 PPM Zinc is a good idea for a flat tappet camshaft

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
T4 tipple Z in all of my engines. Bulldozers, Dump Trucks, Backhoes, etc.

These V6's are very noisy, solid lifters are that a way:).