• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Moss/Pickering Alpine

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just purchased a large archival collection of original Rootes photos stamped on the back with description labels. Most are racing photos along with auto shows. Nothing like a photo to enhance the truth about an event or details. Specifics like the fuel filler locations between the three Factory Works 1961 Sebring Alpines and the three Factory Works 1962 Sebring Alpines.

1961 Sebring Alpine Fuel filler.jpg

Start of the 1961 Sebring race. Note: The blocked off production fuel filler hole and the location of the new Factory Works fuel filler on top of the fender (wing).

1962 Sebring Fuel filler.jpg

Note: The repositioning of the fuel filler through the rear hardtop window. Also of note is the dent in the alloy trunk (boot) which I never knew about until this photo.

By the way that is Peter Harper preparing to climb into #41 at the 1962 Sebring race. I had the pleasure to accept an invitation to his home in Northern England for a visit. Well, more like an interview from me. It was a wonderful hour talking to the ninety (90) year old Proctor about his racing days. This included his 1952 British Cyclist National Championship.

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Great pictures! Keep them coming! Meanwhile, maybe this is well known already. But 40 in picture #1 seems more like 41 in picture #2. And maybe still a different car entirely. But I'm just saying that from the pictures. It could be that everyone already knows they are different cars.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jay, #40 is a 1961 and #41 is a 1962. They are both from a Series II production Alpine taken to the Rootes Competition Department for race preparation.

Rootes Competition Dept 1962 Sebring Alpine.jpg

Note: The production fuel filler has been filled and primed before painting and the rear window filler location indicating these were the 1962 Sebring Alpines being prepared.

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Following some of Silverstein's 11 year old comments. This is what I have currently given the photos he was referring to.

#1 at Riverside October 15, 1961.jpg

From left to right:
Ken Miles - Sterling Moss - Norman Garrad - Jerry Titus - Lew Spencer - Jack Brabham - Jim Ashworth (mechanic).

#7 at Riverside.jpg

From left to right:
Jack Brabham - Lew Spencer - Stirling Moss - Ken Miles - Norman Garrad

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great Photos, Jerry. Several interesting details on the first one (#41) :

- Never noted, but they left the bottom Hardtop bar in black, while the rest was painted white
- The Hardtop vents look different
- Wonder what that big Arial was for
- Did they move up the trunk handle?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bernd, I believe the 1961 #41 was an experimental configuration. I'm not certain why the trunk latch and handle were modified. However, I believe the vent had a measuring device to check the actual airflow passing out the vent. As for the antenna I found a variation on one rally car. The purpose was to detect police radar ahead. Perhaps the 1961 #41's antenna was related to speed measurements.

Rally antenna.jpg

Rally antenna back.jpg

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jay, Steve Silverstein is the guru of Alpine racing history. He would probably know the possible whereabouts of the Miles/Moss Alpines.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Regarding the antennae on the 1961 #41 Alpine. All I know is it was some type of radio communications. How this was used during the race I just have no idea but it was very rare. Interesting enough, I believe #41 went out west for the Riverside Time GP enduro and was to be the driven by Moss (as #7).
This car became Ray Pickering's Alpine (#89 in this video). Ray moved to Lawrence, KS in the mid-60's. The car disappeared in the mid-70s/late-70's.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
So, this is just a guess but the ownership/race timeline:

1961 Sebring
1961 Riverside Times GP enduro (Moss #7, engine failed and Brabham/Moss shared "Rosebud" which was the Bud Rose dealership owned alpine)
1961-70 Ray Pickering races it in California and mid-60's moves to Lawrence, KS. Ray becomes known for racing a TR-4 but also let's Bob Hines and Stephen Blake race the Alpine. I believe Blake actually bought it and raced into the mid-70s.
Disappears in Kansas/Missouri area

Last edited:

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Here's another good video from Santa Barbara... they're a bit hard on these cars.

I am pretty sure #185 is "Elizabeth" which was Ralph Bowyer's ex-Sebring Alpine. Ralph lived in Salt Lake City. Ralph and his wife named it after Elizabeth Taylor.

Last edited:

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
One key connection between the #41 and the Ray Pickering Alpine below.... according to David Duncan, he had a photo of Ray with #89 and it was noted on the back of the photo the car had "radio communications". I believe this reinforces that #41 was actually #7 of Moss. It simply went out west after Sebring (similar to some of the other Sebring cars from 61/62)

Attachments

• Ray-Pickering-image-2.jpg
    Ray-Pickering-image-2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 18

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Interesting. I note that #7 and #1 seem to share the same hard boot cover. But 7 has a single roll bar loop with a single windscreen, and 1 has a double long one roll bar with full width windscreen. But 89 here has the #1 roll bar with the #7 windscreen.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The Brabham/Moss Alpine, shared at Riverside, was from Bud Rose's dealership in Walnut, Creek. Out west it was pretty common to have a cover over the rear deck. I don't know who started it but it cleaned up the back of the car.

Below is the same car... #48 with Froinies driving. #1 at Riverside with Moss Brabham.

Attachments

• Brabham Moss in Rosebud.jpg
    Brabham Moss in Rosebud.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Forines.jpg
    Forines.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 34

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Series 1? No badge, but high door window frame.

Rootes probably got it there for promo? They sure did some cool promo things, better than I think MG did at the time. Sometimes I think it's a shame they didn't sell as many Alpines as MGs. But then what do I care? I've got one (or two) - it's not my issue that MG owners don't know what they're missing.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Fantastic pictures! I'm not so sure that the boot lid is dented. It looks like it may just be dirt/exhaust pattern. All of the lines look too straight to have had a big dent put in it.