• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Moss/Pickering Alpine

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike,
I think your right it looks like road grime back flow accumulation from the bottom of #41. I did inspect the boot and couldn't find any dent evidence.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Have you seen this one? That is Fangio with Jack Brabham at Silverstone.View attachment 26290
View attachment 26290
Yup.. Remeber finding that pic in a book in Camberwell and posting a photo of it in a iteration of the forum maybe around 2005.. Maybe earlier... Was in my webshots album back in the day.

@sunbeamowner Peter nice to see you on the forum... You got jack to sign one of these photos at sandown years back didnt you? He was quite old and shaky by then.. But its a legit brabham bit of memorabilia.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Mike,
I think your right it looks like road grime back flow accumulation from the bottom of #41. I did inspect the boot and couldn't find any dent evidence.

Though it looks like the gap between the boot cover and the fender is extra thin there - as if the fender had been pushed in a bit.

Is this the one that hit the Corvette?

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Though it looks like the gap between the boot cover and the fender is extra thin there - as if the fender had been pushed in a bit.

Is this the one that hit the Corvette?
I would suspect the boot catch inside the lid has been removed and the clasp on the right is holding the lid down while the spring tension on the left is lifting the lid a bit and causing the extra height and wider gap

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor

Is this the one (#41) that the Corvette hit?
Yes, #41 was hit by #1 Corvette with Don Yenko driving. He apologized to Peter Harper after the race. Yenko said, "My brakes stopped working (the Vettes were to heavy for the installed brakes)."

Yenko's damaged Vette:
upload_2022-6-2_15-44-1.png

#41 damage
upload_2022-6-2_15-46-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-6-2_15-42-53.png
    upload_2022-6-2_15-42-53.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would suspect the boot catch inside the lid has been removed and the clasp on the right is holding the lid down while the spring tension on the left is lifting the lid a bit and causing the extra height and wider gap

Actually the latch was still installed and working. The side latch was just an extra precaution. All though you can see from the pit photo above it had become unlatched from the Corvette hit.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thats a great photo of jack in the silver sii... Brilliant.

The REVS archive used to have lots of the rootes fomp photos available

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
So, this is just a guess but the ownership/race timeline:

1961 Sebring
1961 Riverside Times GP enduro (Moss #7, engine failed and Brabham/Moss shared "Rosebud" which was the Bud Rose dealership owned alpine)
1961-70 Ray Pickering races it in California and mid-60's moves to Lawrence, KS. Ray becomes known for racing a TR-4 but also let's Bob Hines and Stephen Blake race the Alpine. I believe Blake actually bought it and raced into the mid-70s.
Disappears in Kansas/Missouri area

I'm just following up again. Anyone have any info on Stephen Blake in the Kansas/MIssouri area in the 70s? We are trying to track down this car.