• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

More room to cool

jmthehermit

Donation Time
So I finally decided to address the cooling issues with my Tiger. Since the car is already upside down on the rotisserie this is no big deal. A few minutes to measure, grab the cutoff wheel and make some sparks. In the first picture you can see how much the radiator support blocks the air flow. On the far right of the pic you'll notice a 1 1/2 or so inch gap in the lower opening. That's how far I moved that side of the support over so it follows a straight line parallel to the radiator. I made a long pie cut to the top of the support avoiding cutting into the back support plate. Then simply trimmed material and butt welded the gap closed. I made a 3 inch wide cradle brace to fit under the radiator but I have to wait until my friend gets back from Florida to use his bead roller to strengthen it. Then on to making the horn hole block off plates. I figure there is now a good 18 to 20 percent more open area for air flow to cool the radiator. Jeff

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Well, I finally got to use my friends bead roller. I made up a wide lower radiator shroud with just enough room to line with foam to stop any air by-passing the radiator core. I achieved my goal of totally unobstructed access for air flow. Only thing left to do is drill a hole for a drain petcock. Jeff

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jeff,

Can you take a picture from the engine bay side? I want to get an idea of how much more area you have. Will you also cover the horn holes and add an air dam?

Regards, Robin.

66Tiger

Donation Time
Jeff,
You could probably make a few bucks selling a lower fan shroud. I thought about making one up but was left shaking my head on how to get something in there. :confused:

Paul

Well, I finally got to use my friends bead roller. I made up a wide lower radiator shroud with just enough room to line with foam to stop any air by-passing the radiator core. I achieved my goal of totally unobstructed access for air flow. Only thing left to do is drill a hole for a drain petcock. Jeff

slippery_biscuit

Donation Time
I used a cutoff disk on a flexible extension attached to a Dremel and cut that same piece out. I took out some other bits as I am moving the radiator fwd, but the part in discussion came out quite easily.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Robin, to find how much metal I removed or shifted it's better to do a visual example. On the front of your Tigers radiator support you'll see where the core meets the side tanks. Tape two homemade plumb lines to the upper radiator opening and let gravity allow the lines to follow the sides of the core straight down to the bottom of the radiator. You'll easily see how much metal restricts the air flow to the fins. I simply removed this metal and exposed all of the fins. The reason for the flat ribbed panel is to be able to position the leading edge forward of the radiators bottom and affix a small air dam to scoop more air upward to the radiator. All holes and gaps on the rad support will be closed off too.

Paul, as for making a lower fan shroud, it is going to be a future project. I'm just not at that stage yet. Jeff

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply and your explanation describes your modifications well. Did your Tiger have cooling issues prior to the restoration or is it just a precaution?

Regards, Robin.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Hi Robin, my car didn't have any cooling problems. It never boiled over even in 100 degree heat but it pegged the temp gauge over 230 degrees a lot. With a larger engine being built, and the car upside down, it was the right time to modify the support. It definitely was a precautionary measure. Jeff