• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Modern Tire size

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I am thinking about running the OEM 13" wheels on my Modified Sunbeam. What is the biggest tire one can run on the stock steel rims and still have clearance? The 185 x 70R - 13 looks like the best bet. After checking 14" and 15" wheels, getting them with proper backspacing seems almost impossible. I DO NOT want show car mags or "expensive trick" wheels. The engine is a Ford 2.3 with automatic overdrive built for running down the highway at 75 mph getting good MPG. Taller and wider than stock are fine but not excessive. I am a long time Street Rod builder and witnessed road problems with "trick" wheels, where one had to wait days for a special- order replacement wheel. Fifteen inch wheels would be okay but the front tire sticks out past the fender if not properly backspaced. Any ideas appreciated. THANKS.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think think 185's are a bit much on stock wheels as I think they are only 4 1/2" wide. They tend to look like overinflated balloons. 175's seem to be the sweet spot. 175's on stock wheels were very popular fifteen years ago. I have a set of 13" x 5.5 Appliance Wheels alloys I'll let go for real cheap. Getting them to you might be an issue. Keep in mind that the days of walking into a tire store and buying a 13" tire are long gone. Special order, if your lucky. Its getting so the same can be said about 14".

Keeping 15s within an Alpine fender is no more difficult than any other size. That fitment is driven by width and offset, not diameter.

Bill

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
When I was looking for tires, everything I read was that the max width tire recommended for a 4.5" rim is 165. I have no idea what bad things can happen if you go wider than that. I am running 165/80 R13. Diameter is very close to original, so it doesn't mess with the speedometer. I found Nankang CX668s on Amazon for $42 last year. Rides and handles great.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think think 185's are a bit much on stock wheels as I think they are only 4 1/2" wide. They tend to look like overinflated balloons. 175's seem to be the sweet spot. 175's on stock wheels were very popular fifteen years ago. I have a set of 13" x 5.5 Appliance Wheels alloys I'll let go for real cheap. Getting them to you might be an issue. Keep in mind that the days of walking into a tire store and buying a 13" tire are long gone. Special order, if your lucky. Its getting so the same can be said about 14".

Keeping 15s within an Alpine fender is no more difficult than any other size. That fitment is driven by width and offset, not diameter.

Bill
Are they the slotted rim? I had a set of the Appliance wheels on a Pinto. Nice rims. Polish up real nice. Although the chrome centers tended to rust easily

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No, the spokes are Xs, sort of a fake wire. Nice wheels. I had them on the Orange car for several years.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Overall width, height, and backspace is the problem. I find 15" with 6" wide rims stick out in front. My 14" rims I thought worked, stick out in front about 1/8" past the fender, and the tire overall width will be even wider. That is with an almost 4" backspace. Factory steel rims look like my best option to keep things inside the fenders, and I know they work. If memory serves, the OEM tires were about 23" tall, and I have found tires that size. Bill, send me info about those rims. (chasj43@gmail.com) If it ain't toooo far, I may take the trip. The front tires are the problem for me. Because I drive my cars almost daily, I need the fronts to stay covered in bad weather and not throw water. Did you run those on any Sunbeam? THANKS for the quick reply guys.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I believe the previous picture the wheels are American racing. I have one spare wire wheel that's laying around here in Southern California with a tire on it free to a good home.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Bill, I just looked on the map at how far you live from me...and it is a long way. I think I'll stay with factory 13" painted nice. I have a sandblaster and I can paint the wheels to contrast with the body. THANKS for the picture, and the wheels do look nice on the Alpine.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dang. There goes the fancy paint money!! I think that steel wheels get a bum rap, that's why I bought the Saab steels. Beside, it fools the aitch out of people. They think the wheels are stock, which means the rest of the car is stock. What they don't know can be used to my advantage.
Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I've seen some really nice re-welded wheels that fit stock hubcaps and are much wider.
My hot rod bodies have got a place that custom makes steel wheels.