• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Modern Hydraulic Clutch slave

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom13 brought forth a modern hydraulic clutch slave system in a previous thread about lightened flywheels:
For the Toyota clutch disc, however, I used a modified release lever.

Attachments​

• 1677140246144.jpeg

1677140246144.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11

• slave cylinder kpl..JPG

slave cylinder kpl..JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

I'm very interested in knowing more on this topic for use in a stock Alpine transmission.

Tom13

Donation Time
The slave cylinder can also be used for the stock Alpine transmission. The aluminum intermediate plate
must be adjusted in length so that the slave cylinder has a small clearance.

This one here is the matching

For the correct ratio I have used this master cylinder ( .75") , look on the picture. Not cheap, but for 12 years without
problems in use with DOT 5.0 brake fluid

Attachments

• Connection Slave cylinder.JPG
    Connection Slave cylinder.JPG
    774.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Weber without Airbox, Master Cylinder green.JPG
    Weber without Airbox, Master Cylinder green.JPG
    726.1 KB · Views: 25

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just a note,

A more complete descriptor would be "Internal Clutch Hydraulic Slave cylinder"

The key word here is Internal, as in, WHEN it fails you get to remove the Trans

to fix it.

But, of course, the new stuff ( some of it is PLASTIC ) has it's advantages.

...one of them is a newer BEARING (generally thought to be better...but ADDing moving parts...)

DW

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The vast majority of manual transmission domestic OEM vehicles built in the last 20 years have used an internal clutch hydraulic slave cylinder because of simplified driveline packaging, reduced parts cost, reduced assembly line installation time and reduced warranty cost.

The only significant drawback to an internal clutch hydraulic slave cylinder is that it must be installed correctly.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There is no inherent reason for them to fail. Jose was all about the effort required to change them upon failure, All I go to say is that our Ford owning family averaged more than 250,000 miles on some turn of century five speeds Fords. When junked, all clutch assemblies were working just fine. Not so much for the bodies and in one instance, transmission.

Just be sure to buy a good one. Seems that price is a decent indicator. I put a $40 Ebay unit in the first version of the DuraPine. 30,000 miles later, it was leaking, Replaced it with a $90 name brand unit, was leak free at 80,000 mile,

Bill

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did you have to put in a spacer to get proper clearance with the throwout bearing to clutch release? I'm trying to dial in the best unit to buy.

Tom13

Donation Time
Did you have to put in a spacer to get proper clearance with the throwout bearing to clutch release? I'm trying to dial in the best unit to buy.
Yes, there is a aluminum spacer between the slave cylinder and the pressure plate. This can be seen
in the first two pictures. If necessary, I can send you a drawing as a PDF, but the height should be
adapted to your clutch.