• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Modern heater cores to fit Series IV Alpines or Tigers

Tireguy

Silver Level Sponsor
I would like to replace my existing heater core with a modern style heater core. Does anyone know if there is an existing model that will fit in to replace the older style that are in the cars. My radiator man will make me one for about $400.00 but I was hoping to find a existing model that will work for a bit less money. I live in Canada and the existing heater does not provide enough heat. Hopefully someone has already solved this problem.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a seller in the UK named Ashley Hinton that has periodically offered a reproduction heater core that is claimed to be more efficient that the stock unit and improve heating. I don't remember the cost, but am pretty sure it is well less than $400. I can't find any contact information for the company (maybe Ashley Hinton is the name of the person?) other than their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Ashley-Hinton-245648178847505/, but hopefully this will get you started.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
We were paying about $300 10 years ago for a radiator re-core. $400 today might be a bargain...if you can find someone to do it nowadays.
All the radiator shops are gone here in Dayton.
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oh, sorry you mentioned a heater core replacement. I would think that would be even harder to have done....
You might un-solder it and rod out the passages and re-solder it yourself?
Jan

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ashley's replacement core:

1658598_590692997676353_1472168853_o.jpg

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Have you removed and flushed out your old core? You would be surprised at how much crud is inside of them. I would do that first and insure there is good water flow through it before buying a new one. And a factory hardtop during the winter makes for a warmer Sunbeam as does sealing up all the air openings in the firewall along with extra insulation.
PS-disconnect the water outlet line from the heater core while engine is running and check for flow. Heater core may be air locked and/or heater valve not opening all the way too.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I agree - flush the core or take it to someone that can do a good job cleaning it out. I have driven my car on low 40 degree F days with the top down and had a toasty warm lower body. I can also see a drop in water temp with the heater running, so that tells me the core is exchanging a lot of heat. Not sure you would be able to any better than that. With any type of top, I would think it would be cooking you unless is was a really cold day.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have 7 or 8 cores. I had to rebuild clean one cause it sounds like a maraca when you shake it....

Removing the ends and rodding em out doesn't seem tough.
Those early AM car show runs with the top down in So. Cal. I sometimes put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator just to get more heat...

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I recently purchased the Core from SS, $169.00? ish. Well made, fit perfect, appears to be made much stronger on the ends than the original one that had the ends all swollen out from pressure. So far, works like a champ. Why would you want to spend $3-400?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you're butt is cold maybe add a heated seat kit. A couple pals have added them but I just use a blanket.
Jim is the new core rated for 13 lbs or is it the lower number that is stock for Alpine's.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Warren, I called up to SS, but couldn't get an answer for that. Another good question would be; Are Tigers running a 7# Radiator Cap, or a 13# cap? I would assume they would both use the same heater core. Not sure if it even matters, but maybe...

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tigers run 13 lb. caps DPOs put on a 22 lb caps contributing to or causing the ends to expand.
Yes same core.

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
I don't have a problem with the heater core, it's that pathetic excuse for a fan that's the problem . If I though there was a replacement I would drop kick that blower unit right back to Coventry. Does anyone have an idea for a heater fan for the Alpine?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yeh! Replace it with an Old Air unit that has Heat and A/C!

Run 16 lb Cap and forget the troubles with the old heater core and the big bulky fan!

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Yeh! Replace it with an Old Air unit that has Heat and A/C!

Run 16 lb Cap and forget the troubles with the old heater core and the big bulky fan!

Can't find an Old Air replacement on the website. Sunbeams aren't listed.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can't find an Old Air replacement on the website. Sunbeams aren't listed.
Nothing is ever listed for Sunbeams. But if the original heater is removed, there is room for Old Air "Hurricane" A/C/Heater/Defroster unit. It is not a kit, so requires some finagaling to make it work.

I have had one in my car for about twelve years. So far, the only downside is that it will not work properly with a small A/C compressor. For some reason, mine requires a full sized compressor.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The new Lord Rootes had a Dale A. installed unit have to ask him what he uses. Interesting how he doesn't treat everything like it's a trade secret ;)