• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mirror Location-'63 Srs 3 GT

Lolat324

Donation Time
Okay, so I own my dads 63 Srs 3, GT. Back in the family after being lost for 27 years. When dad bot it, it didn't have a driver's side, a move to Riverside in 65 he added the mirror-not sure why, bet it was La traffic related. I'll ask him he's old but sharp. So the Talbot mirror is currently mounted the back of the left fender, adjacent to the cowl. First-is that the right location? Next-the holes drilled-likley by my dad-are approx 1/4" and threaded into the sheetmetal. As you know threading sheetmetal means you have very few threads as the metal is thin so the mount if weak, and the mirror has a lot of movement due to vibration. The other issue is I cannot figure out how to get into the cavity the mirror is mounted over. I need to add a backing nut(s) if possible. But the access to this area is not known to me. There is an access hole to the left of the pedal area-that only gets you to the space behind the door hinges. Any ideas? Moving the mirror means I have two holds in the sheetmetal..cars not perfect so I can hide until the next paint project-someday.. Looking for ideas? Thanks all.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm guessing that's when California passed the law that required cars to have side mirrors if you're from Riverside, California and not a Riverside in a different state. From my understanding, mirrors were placed kind of wherever, especially halfway up the fender for a better view of things behind your Alpine. My IV had an ugly thick 'stick' mirror bolted on the door next to the wing window, swapped it out with two bullet mirrors that I got cheap and they're OK, just wish they were bigger.

California law does state that you have to be able to see something like 200+ feet behind you with them and they can't obstruct your view. I regularly drive mine and I'm up here in the Bay Area. I don't know if any of this helps or is totally accurate so YMMV. Wish I could help more somehow. Kudos on getting a member of your family back with the S3GT. I really hope you enjoy the hell out of it.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
In my opinion, The use of threaded rivets is the solution for attaching to sheet metal. Once I discovered these made attachments so simple and secure. Harbor Freight.

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Series V. I've got a bullet mirror up by the vent window on the driver's side and was thinking about putting another one in the same location on the passenger side. Trouble is, when I do that I can't see it too well from the driver's seat. Did the car ever come from the factory with outside mirrors or were there any dealer installed outside mirrors? I had a series 1 that had bullets on the fenders and that seemed to work fine but I'm pretty sure the PO installed them.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
When dealing with Alpines, I've decided there is no good mirror or mounting spot. So much is dependent upon mirror configuration and driver height. The best you can hope for is a combination that is okay.

Bill

MSiege

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi there,
It's been a while since I've been on here. I let go of my SV last year but I recently purchased a '63 S3 GT. It came with no outside mirrors so this thread is interesting to me. State inspection here will require at least a left side mirror. I've posted pictures of my approach to solving this problem.

IMG_5925.JPG IMG_5926.JPG IMG_5927.JPG IMG_5928.JPG IMG_5929.JPG

Clamped to the side trim is a 4 inch "Peep" mirror. I'm not eager to drill holes in the door or fender unless really necessary. This seems like a reasonably stylish and inexpensive way to experiment with a clamp-on mirror. It doesn't affect the rubber trim and the door swings around it easily. It is clamped on with a rubber pad on the outer trim side, and two Allen bolts inside that I tightened using needle nose vice grips. You can't get a wrench into then end socket. The only caveat - my car is not on the road yet so I haven't field tested it for field of vision, vibration, etc.

I'm optimistic about this. I like the looks and it's a universal fit (L or R) so another could go on the opposite side. Hope you find this interesting, too.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks nice and may fulfill the letter of the law, but any mirror located that far forward will place the quarter window chrome strip in your field of vision. Just one of the many problems of locating a mirror on an Alpine.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think if the arm.extended out further so the mirror was further from the body it would work well