• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lucas Bullet Style Connectors

Ktapply

Donation Time
Anyone recommend a source for OEM style Lucas Bullet connectors? I will call Rick at S/S but they are not listed in his catalog.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'd imagine Rick has them... just call him.

One item I have that I find *really* handy is this tool:

Snip_Snap_Tool_for_Bullet_Connectors_090.001.jpg

See: http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=090.001#

Holden also has all the connectors as well.

mightyohm

Donation Time
Do the connectors up near the front cowl for the headlights come apart? It seems like the headline wires terminate in a bullet connector which can be easily removed from the harness, but then the female harness receptacle is actually part of the harness and not removable. Is that correct?

Photo is below. The black cylinders are the connectors I'm referring to. Are they part of the harness or a separate detachable piece?

IMG_0568(2).jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes they come apart. They have a bullet connector (male end) that snaps into the female socket. The "covers" can be separated also.

mightyohm

Donation Time
Dan - thanks for the tip. I tried and tried to separate the connector from the harness but was not successful. Apparently after being connected for 50 years it wants to stay that way! At the risk of breaking the wires going to the connectors I decided to leave them alone for now. I have new connectors and bullets on order from British Wiring so that I can clip the wires and replace the entire connector assembly down the road.

65beam

Donation Time
The easy way to separate them is to slide or cut the rubber sleeve and since the metal sleeve is not a solid tube just take a screw driver or similar tool and spread the sleeve.101_0056.JPG

mightyohm

Donation Time
The easy way to separate them is to slide or cut the rubber sleeve and since the metal sleeve is not a solid tube just take a screw driver or similar tool and spread the sleeve.View attachment 9550

That makes sense - the rubber has taken a set due to age and if I am replacing the connectors anyway it would be easier to just cut it off. Thanks for the suggestion!

loose_electron

Donation Time
If "being original" is not important, I would go to 0.25" spade (fast on) connectors and heat shrink over the connector. The bullet devices really are not my favorite way to make a connection.

65beam

Donation Time
I found a notice on the mail box yesterday telling me that I had some items at the post office. One of the items was five NOS rolls of brown wire. Each roll has the bullet connector on both ends and also had a rubber connector included. One more item for the hutch.101_0060.JPG 101_0061.JPG 101_0059.JPG