• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Look What I found

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Maybe it will sell this time?? He never did write that Original Alpine book he talked about at length........Eric

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I like the part that upholstery and carpets are like new with only 5500 miles.Maybe he forgot a 0 or two as they look more like 50,000 miles

Tullamore

Donation Time
No the miles are correct, but you are right that car really needs to be cleaned up. I hope someone gets the chance to document it correctly before someone else takes it apart.

napa 1

Donation Time
I've been long trying to figure out the absolutly correct original layout of the series I/II trunk tools . Can we assume that this configuration is the original? The tool roll strap is screwed to the floor near the handle for the starting crank etc. Does this look right?

A

alpine in calgary

Well first off the capet on the passenger foot-well looks fairly worn and the rest of it is not all that nice.The engine compartment is filthy especially the rocker cover.The seats are in good shape with no rips though but there is wear on them.The paint looks like crap but may possibly be salvageable with a good power polish by a skilled person.I highly doubt the story that the guy is telling,the engine compartment is evidence enough that there is more than 5500 miles on the car(I suspect odometer fraud)In all fairness my S2 is a far better car and I had no dreams of getting 13 grand on a "buy it now" on ebay in fact my reserve was a bit over half that amount.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
All original?

Hey, the rims are painted red. Should they not be an off/white colour.
I am not sure about SI or SII but I know that SIII on should be an white colour. I am sure Jan or Ian would know.

Andrew

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well first off the capet on the passenger foot-well looks fairly worn and the rest of it is not all that nice.
That is not carpet...................What else do you think it is?
The early cars had body painted wheels.
I can't believe this car was in Cincinnati. Where was it advertised in 2005, to allow him to buy it? It would be worth the $10k if it was operable, but only about $5k now as it sits.
It the original owner towed that car with the drive shaft installed, that trans is probably ruined. You can't do that because the gears are not moving and no oil can get to the mainshaft bearings.
Jan

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
This is one of those cars that you make an effort NOT to disassemble and restore. Approach the car with the intent to do minimal replacements.

I suspect most details would clean up really well.

As far as the damage to that left front fender... there are painters who specialize in matching older finishes... even to the point of distressing the paint to match the rest of the car. I have a friend who had a Healey that was the perfect barn find but the left front fender was crunched. They replicated the existing finish of the rest of the car and it was one cool Healey since it looked so original.

Steve

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
My Series I had the body color painted wheels. Checkout the photo gallery of my Series I. This picture was taken about 2 months after I took delivery from the dealer. This also confirms Jans statement.
Cheers,
Alpine Bob
Hey, the rims are painted red. Should they not be an off/white colour.
I am not sure about SI or SII but I know that SIII on should be an white colour. I am sure Jan or Ian would know.

Andrew

Nickodell

Donation Time
Look at the heel wear in the passenger footwell!!! 5,500 miles my foot. Add 100K to that figure. And there is no valid explanation for the filth and stains in engine compartment and interior, unless it was left outside open to the elements. If it was indoors with the hardtop on and doors and windows closed, it might be dusty but nothing like this. No wonder there were no bids. Looks like a scam at the asking price, but a restorable project at half that.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Perhaps if this guy would let one of us inspect the car and give the Good Housekeeping seal of approval the mystery would be solved, but I believe someone suggested that to him and he wouldn't let anybody inspect it?

A

alpine in calgary

If ANYBODY refused me the right to get a car inspected independantly I would walk away without any hesitation.Even if it were something particularly rare and at an unbelievable bargain price.....such as a 1953 AC Ace...or a 1956 BMW 507 cabriolet or even a 1963 Astom martin DB4 I would not consider it..........due to the fact of what I dont/wont know till I have paid for it and discovered the awful truth

napa 1

Donation Time
we may have already covered this in another thread, but were the heater cover/hood latch assembly originally painted car color?

Jim E

Donation Time
SI that was parked for years from almost new........ now wonder why that was.......figure out of warrenty engine failure...