• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lockheed 5" servo

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
In the UK they sell a Powertune servo as a Lockheed replacement. I can vouch for the fact that they are poor quality and I have had two fail after only 1000 miles on each. In fact I think a 3rd failed around the time I bought my car as a replacement was part of the first service. Make sure you get genuine parts even if you have to pay a premium.

pruyter

Donation Time
Buy the Lockheed servo from Alpine Innovations in the UK and you will never have a problem!
The Powertune replica Lockheed is a real Chinese disaster.

Regards,

Peter

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
This topic is also on the Stock group. Here is my response to that one:

I wrote Girling/Lockheed years ago. At the time, there were a number of servos on the market. If I recall, there was a 1.9:1 ratio, a 2.3:1 ratio and a 3.0:1 ratio. Victoria British sold the 1.9 one, Sunbeam Specialities sold the 2.3 one, and you'd have to go to a Jaguar place to get the 3.0 one. Girling/Lockheed wrote back and said the 3.0 one was the correct one for our cars. I also had other papers at the time that I'm pretty sure supported the Girling letter.
I had already purchased the 1.9 one. So I tried it. I didn't like it. I took it out and put in a smaller ID master cylinder and have been happy with that ever since. But my Tiger does have a servo that works nicely, and I must admit I like it perhaps just a tad better than the Alpine without a servo.

Separately, I do have Dan's rear disc conversion. But I simply haven't been able to get to work on the Alpine (and need to call Dan about one of the parts). On the plus side, I've continued to enjoy the Tiger in the meantime.

Snakeoil II

Donation Time
In the UK they sell a Powertune servo as a Lockheed replacement. I can vouch for the fact that they are poor quality and I have had two fail after only 1000 miles on each. In fact I think a 3rd failed around the time I bought my car as a replacement was part of the first service. Make sure you get genuine parts even if you have to pay a premium.
Thanks all...Yes, I bought the Lockheed from Sunbeam Specialties. Pricey @ $326.00 but I just sold my Girling for rebuild so it offset my cost to almost half. Now to have it installed..

NedD

Gold Level Sponsor
updated info regarding the new Lockheed brake servo: See the attached document:

When I received the Spring sale catalog from Victoria British I noticed they had a Lockheed 5†booster kit for sale for $94.95. The kit includes the servo, new input and output brake lines, non-return valve, mounting brackets and various other items. Given the reality of costs to rebuild or repair Girling servos is much greater than $100 – assuming you can locate a unit to rebuild – I decided to purchase the Lockheed unit and install it in my Tiger.
I wanted to locate the unit in the same area as was used by the original Girling unit. There was really only one way to position the servo that would permit clearance between it and the bonnet and that was to use a position similar to the original.

With location determined I needed to find a suitable way to mount it in position. It occurred to me that I could make use of the inner fender brace to hold the servo if I could find a suitable bracket. A trip to the Carquest Auto Parts store soon solved that issue. I bought two insulated cable clamps that open to about 1.25â€.

The new servo unit has two mounting studs on the front of it. By using the fender brace as a mounting point I was able to securely fasten the front of the servo using the two servo studs and two cable clamps.

Also included in the kit was a bracket that fits around the “long†end of the servo. I shortened the bracket, bent and formed it to fit and drilled a 5/16†hole in it. Using one of the existing Tiger bracket mounts I was able to bolt the reconfigured bracket to the car. With the two clamps on the front of the servo and the bracket on the rear the servo is secure.
The kit included a new vacuum hose and also a non-return valve. I installed a new vacuum hose connector on the rear of the carburetor. I cut the new vacuum hose and installed the non-return valve in-line between the carburetor and the servo. I attached the vacuum hose to the servo, installed new hose clamps and had a leak free vacuum connection between the carburetor and the servo. With everything secure, clamped and in place I started the engine, put the car in gear and tested the brakes. Everything works. For under $100 I now have power brakes on my ’66 Mark 1A Tiger.
Paul A: It's been some years since you did this install. I'm fitting the same Lockheed booster to my '66 Tiger. Did you encounter any issues bleeding the system? The Lockheed instructions are specific about orienting the air valve at least 30 degrees below vertical and inclining the slave cylinder upwards. All this to presumably to prevent air from being trapped in the valve assembly. Your installation has the air valve positioned vertically and the slave cylinder horizontal. Your configuration "fits" the space better so I'm curious to know if you encountered any downsides to positioning it that way.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Very good question posed. I bought two units after PaulA alerted me to the good buy on them.

I have one ready for mounting in one of the Alpines that is getting a V6. My Red GT will probably get the other unit.

The angle of mounting has some draw backs for my V6's if that angle is a strict guide.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul A: It's been some years since you did this install. I'm fitting the same Lockheed booster to my '66 Tiger. Did you encounter any issues bleeding the system? The Lockheed instructions are specific about orienting the air valve at least 30 degrees below vertical and inclining the slave cylinder upwards. All this to presumably to prevent air from being trapped in the valve assembly. Your installation has the air valve positioned vertically and the slave cylinder horizontal. Your configuration "fits" the space better so I'm curious to know if you encountered any downsides to positioning it that way.
no issues works well