• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lightweight Flywheels, NOT just for Race cars anymore.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Back in the '90s, I worked on several Alpines.

One had a Weber 38/38 DGAS, it was FAR and away the Zippiest Alpine I had ever driven!

For the longest time I attributed the performance to the Carb.

However, recently, I think the Most likely scenario is that Zippy Alpine

had a LIGHT Weight Flywheel!

The recent change to the Weekend Racer Alpine to an Aluminum Flywheel

has made a significant change to the FEEL of the car!

Seeing the car is street legal, I test it on the street quite freely.

Changing to the light weight flywheel has not been a problem on the Street.

At this point, the pressure Plate and Clutch disc are standard SV Alpine parts.

And with the BIG cam in the WR Alpine, you would think the weak low RPM

Torque would also cause a problem with a light weight flywheel, but I'm not seeing it.

I'm now re-energized to find a source of light weight Flywheels for ALL of my Alpines!

I suspect a majority of Alpine owners, given a choice, would choose a light Weight

Flywheel.

DW

P1070937.JPG

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Why not engineer your current flywheel? The Alpine Tuning Guide has a section describing how to lighten the flywheel and any local engineering shop should be able to do it. Remember that the gain from change to rotating mass means that the weight needs to be taken from as close to the outer edges as possible. The standard flywheel is 23 lbs, the Harrington Le Mans is 19 lbs and the Rootes Competition Dept used 14lbs if I recall. My local shop took my flywheel down to 16 lbs and stopped when they started to break into the cover bolt holes. At 16 lbs I have a very lively road going engine with no issues about idling stability. Your flywheel looks like it is a 7 1/2" setup so good for lightening at the outer edges.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I used the Rootes factory SII special tunning guide as the starting point on my SII flywheel... And kept going. It's been discussed previously in threads ( goes back to 2007 when I did it) and while many people said it would make the car to tricky around town at low rpm... Didn't notice that at all ..but the response was MUCH better..

I won't quote the exact weight as it's not to mental hand anymore.... But I will find it.. and is in the old forum archives with photos . And the mod to for the 1725 oil pump to the 3 main distributor and sump ( all 1 project when I was switching out the gearbox)

The flywheel mod.. and balancing is a big positive change for the car .. an aluminium one would be a nice buy if easily avaiy

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have trimmed down Stock Iron Alpine flywheels in the past and even trimmed the Aluminum one.

But you can't safely trim an Iron flywheel to get to the weight of an aluminum flywheel.

The lightweight aftermarket STEEL flywheels are a choice and the current direction I am leaning.

I may have to start over in my search to see if anything else/new has come on the scene in the last few years.

DW

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Modern DriveLine in Boise ID is making flywheels for me (V6 FORD) and providing the pressure plates and clutch disc. Bet they can do the Alpine also. Ask for Paul

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is what my brother and I did to our flywheels, I had mine balanced afterwards with the clutch pressure plate bolted on.
Took off about 3 lbs.

Attachments

• Flywheel Mod.pdf
    303.5 KB · Views: 32

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Aluminum one above looked closer to a standard SV originally.

Some Iron SV examples. DW

P1070670.JPG

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here is the TVR Racing in the UK lightened flywheel

Sunbeam-Alpine-19101725-4kg1.jpg

Cost - (299BP) = $370 USD including shipping (2020)
Weight - 4.35 kg = 8.59lbs
Clutch - 215mm = 8.46 inches

Sunbeam-alpine-1700-184-4128-3kg_resized.jpg

The same company also makes a flywheel for the 1725 engine with 7.2 inch clutch. It weighs in at 3kg = 6.6lbs.

Last edited:

Five Reviver

Silver Level Sponsor
This is the (steel) one which TTV Racing sell to match 1725 OEM fitment - no change to std clutch. 3.6kg - it’s less than half the weight of a lightened OEM. I can tell you it drives in traffic with no negatives and the positives are a revelation. You just won’t believe the change to the responsiveness of the engine. I’m no expert, but having used this flywheel, I would not build a standard 1725 engine (or any other) without inserting this little beauty into it.

Attachments

• 897DC443-4FE2-4804-837E-D827EF56F51E.jpeg
    897DC443-4FE2-4804-837E-D827EF56F51E.jpeg
    783.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 16950B03-9D6E-4306-A5F1-C40681056998.jpeg
    16950B03-9D6E-4306-A5F1-C40681056998.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 80ED2ACC-D8A9-4B6E-8F1A-9299DF70BC92.png
    80ED2ACC-D8A9-4B6E-8F1A-9299DF70BC92.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

fireroad

Donation Time
This is the (steel) one which TTV Racing sell to match 1725 OEM fitment - no change to std clutch. 3.6kg - it’s less than half the weight of a lightened OEM. I can tell you it drives in traffic with no negatives and the positives are a revelation. You just won’t believe the change to the responsiveness of the engine. I’m no expert, but having used this flywheel, I would not build a standard 1725 engine (or any other) without inserting this little beauty into it
Thanks for the info! If the shipping to the US is reasonable I may just give it ago. When you say "no change to standard clutch" which clutch size do you have? According to the SS catalog my SV is an early model so 7 1/4 and 10 spline.

alpine_64

Donation Time
This is the (steel) one which TTV Racing sell to match 1725 OEM fitment - no change to std clutch. 3.6kg - it’s less than half the weight of a lightened OEM. I can tell you it drives in traffic with no negatives and the positives are a revelation. You just won’t believe the change to the responsiveness of the engine. I’m no expert, but having used this flywheel, I would not build a standard 1725 engine (or any other) without inserting this little beauty into it.
What did they slug you for duty when it arrived in AU?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yup, I have a pile of stock Alpine iron flywheels, and I hope to never use one again!

In hind sight, changing to a lightweight flywheel would have been a single change

that Rootes could have done to give the Alpine a more sporty car feel!

And that TTV SV replacement flywheel is just the ticket I was planning to get!

I just have not seen the STD SV version until now.

DW

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yup, I have a pile of stock Alpine iron flywheels, and I hope to never use one again!

In hind sight, changing to a lightweight flywheel would have been a single change

that Rootes could have done to give the Alpine a more sporty car feel!

And that TTV SV replacement flywheel is just the ticket I was planning to get!

I just have not seen it until now.

DW
I think Jerry had posted some images of his and the preseure plate and cover for his race project

alpine_64

Donation Time
@spmdr :

Jerry's is the larger flywheel from the early cars.. more drilling by TTV for lightening on the bigger dia one.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
TTV has made more Sunbeam versions than are seen on their web site.

.....and posted by Jerry, so far....

Email just sent to TTV.

DW

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm just so glad I didn't spend All kinds of Time trying to get the Heavy Flywheel engine to pick up rpm

with Bigger accelerator shots with the Webers!

DW

Five Reviver

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info! If the shipping to the US is reasonable I may just give it ago. When you say "no change to standard clutch" which clutch size do you have? According to the SS catalog my SV is an early model so 7 1/4 and 10 spline.
I’m using the later SV fine spline clutch as I’m running a John Roseby ‘hybrid’, gearbox (Hillman Hunter GT box with J type overdrive and Alpine SV gearset installed by John).
TTV previously had the 2057 flywheel listed only for the Hillman Hunter, so to make certain it was correct before I bought it, Limey from this forum kindly sent TTV a new OE Series V flywheel to compare and they confirmed that the specs were exactly the same. That’s why they now have it listed for the Alpine.

Last edited:

Five Reviver

Silver Level Sponsor
There’s one more thing to remember if you instal one of these fabulous flywheels: every time you start the car, it reminds you it’s there by ringing like a bell.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Seeing I don't have any yet, I'll just assume the Bell ring is a Safety Feature.

...When it stops ringing, YOU have a problem?

And/or, still keeping a measure of optimism, sounds like Music to my ears?

Some of the Vintage Racers also Ring.

DW