• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Left Hand to Right Hand Conversion

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
Does anyone in the Club have information on what is required to convert a Ser I from Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive ?

It just seems to me that it might be fun to convert. My car is disassembled so now would be a good time to attempt this transformation.

John in Colorado

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I dont have an actual parts list nor have I ever done conversion like this, but based on the obvious and spending time working on alpines in general, you will be needing the following (all parts probably only available in the UK).

Steering box (I dont see how the steering box can be mounted in both positions with how its mounted for LHD).
Dash board and glove cubby assembly.
At least the remote pitman arm on the front suspension and probably the idler arm too.
A different length e-brake cable.
Probably a new wiring harness or mods to the existing wiring harness since the cockpit wiring entry point and endpoint locations are symmetrically different.

There are positions for the brake and clutch master cyls as well as a symmetric mounting locations for the accelerator rod system. so other than new hydraulic lines, your old hardware should be reusable.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Shorten the speedo cable 18" as you move the speedometer and re-route the cable.

Mike

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
I have found a 07-08-2007 thread that lists the changes need to convert from LHD to RHD. I also found a contact given by V6 Jose. Does anyone know how to contact Bryan Gilbreath?

John in Colorado

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have found a 07-08-2007 thread that lists the changes need to convert from LHD to RHD. I also found a contact given by V6 Jose. Does anyone know how to contact Bryan Gilbreath?

John in Colorado

There is Rich Vose in Highlands Ranch (used to frequent here) that has a RHD SV. You should search him out.

JonPiz

Donation Time
re

I did this when I bought my series 2 to the UK. In addition to the list above, you will need

RHD accelerator pedal and linkage
The parking brake can just be switched sides and the linkage re mounted mirror style
Wiper motor is fine but the ali tubes that contain the drive need to be changed. The washer jets and the wipers just change holes.

JonPiz

Donation Time
re

The rhd brake master has its own reservoir rather than a remote one so that needs changing as well

mikephillips

Donation Time
Brake and clutch pedals as well since the curve at the foot pad end faces the other direction. Swapping the LHD ones over I suspect will interfere with the gas pedal, particularly if you have big feet. Also, the wiper blades on the RHD park opposite the LHD. I don't know if it can be adjusted from the motor like the later series, I can say originally the series 1 was the only Alpine that listed unique RHD and LHD wiper assemblies. And along with that, the slight kink at the blade ends of the wiper arms points the opposite direction too.

Last edited:

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
Thanks Guys for all the information.

I am putting in a V6 using "the kit" so some items would have to be changed anyway.

I will do some more digging ---I have not made up my mind yet--Just one of those things that sounds like fun to do.

John in Colorado