• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Left gas tank - modified with SW fuel tank sending unit $175

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Restored left gas tank, very good condition, inside looked like new before coating (hot tanked, muriatic acid cleaned, coated inside with Red-Kote, spray painted outside). Has been modified with Stewart Warner gas tank sending unit (included). I restored with original tanks because this modification was done very well previously and thinking someone with V6 or Alger swap may be using Stewart Warner gauges. Pulled out of Tiger I have now and didn't know it was even converted, car had multiple challenges so never paid much attention to gas gauge (probably only drove it 100 miles before pulling out the engine and non-op since) but from memory the gauge worked (have no clue re. accuracy). Looked up Ohm's on SW which are different than stock Sunbeam so assume you already know that. These sending units show up on ebay often if you ever need to replace the sending unit (new one now listed for $46 FYI). Hope of value/help to someone - FYI, also have a reconditioned right original tank I could sell also.
upload_2022-11-24_7-47-51.png

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Will accept offers, trades, ? has anyone seen this done before. Would assume a perfect solution to convert to SW gauges

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
SW fuel sender additional info: seems this is called a universal 5 hole sending unit mount and there are lots of different sending units that fit this mount FYI. What is installed is a Stewart Warner sending unit that web search results indicate it opperates in 30 - 240 Ohm range. Our Sunbeams I believe use 22 - 228 ohm range BUT opperate backwards compaired to American standards back in those good old days. I.e. the US gauges show empty with max Ohm, vs our English sender/gauge function to show full at max ohm (hope I translated the web search results correctly). Would guess using non stock gauges such as Stewart Warner, Autometer, other you can work with this gas tank sending unit If anyone catches a mistake here (or thinks I am nuts) please post an update/correction. Also - tank is in VERY good condition and needs a new home (and I need the shelf space). FYI web search shows there are 5 hole sending units available that shold opperate correctly for our britsh gauge Ohms.

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Still have this 'unique' gas tank for sale- if any interest let me know - very good conditoin inside and these SW senders show up new on eBay often. FYI, I do have a good stock sending unit mount (patch panel cut off another tank that was rusted) if someone is in for a project.

Last edited: