• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Late hardtop drivers back corner

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Looking for a non restorable hardtop with a usable drivers rear frame metal. Can be cut for shipping.
Pic is from a series IV.

hdtop.jpg

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
At The United 39 in Sept I talked to Chris Lunn about repair corners for late hardtops. He had mentioned that he can make them and was also working on a complete lower replacement pc. Contact Chris and he may be able to help you out on that. The samples he had looked good. He is located in Grand Bend Ontario not too far from Port Huron Michigan. Here’s his contact info, image.jpg

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
FYI, I emailed Chris Lun using email posted above and recieved a reply quickly - he is working on hardtop corner patch panels FYI

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I have been having an ongoing conversation with Dan R (who regularly posts on here) about these parts. Thanks to the work of Matt Ollman at The Rootes Archive Centre Trust we managed to get the original specifications and technical drawings for some of the rear end of the steel hardtops.
This might prove useful to Chris Lun or anyone else who tries to make these repair parts.

You might also have seen our video onThe Sunbeam Alpine Channel showing how we have repaired various hard tops using flat steel and home fabricated panels hen we have been unable to get the actual replacement parts.

Tim R

2218260_B_Fotor.jpg 2218276_B_Fotor.jpg

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
FYI, I emailed Chris Lun using email posted above and recieved a reply quickly - he is working on hardtop corner patch panels FYI
I don't know Chris Lunn and haven't seen his panels so I can't comment on the quality of his work. But how a reproduced panel looks is a far secondary to how it fits.

Many of us have purchased repop sheet metal that appeared to be nice but later turned out to be a nightmare to mount. I've heard numerous stories about poorly made front valances, rockers, floor pans, etc. that took hours and hours to get right. And some never did look quite right once on the car.

In the case of HT panels, especially the rear corners, even a few thou difference in dimension will be unforgiving and may take a lot of extra hours and work. Before I spring for newly-available HT panels, I want someone skilled and knowledgeable to give feedback on quality and fit. Randy? Steve? Sean? Bryan?

Mark ..... volvoguys

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
He who's name shan't be mentioned said that he showed a set to D. Jennings who's likely forgotten more than most of us know. The review was good although there is no substitute for doing it yourself. Since the collective WE have piled $$$$$
To RACT it's good that the drawings are available to cross check. If I had a source I likely would have kept more of the ones I sold off every time I found a better one.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know nothing of these panels. I made my own when I restored my hardtop and haven'y made any since.
I do have a couple of hard tops that will be done eventually and might spring for a set to see what's involved
to make them fit. I have yet to have a panel "fit" without any work. They are as good as they can be, but there's
always a bit of work to make them fit like the originals.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The discussion reminds me of some mirrors I bought years ago from my F250. My body guy recommended I get them from CertiFit, since the exact fit wasn't critical. He told me the industry guys refer to the company as "SortaFits".