• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Jim Ellis' last project car is now with his son Ben

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I arranged for a friend to trailer Jim E’s Nissan 300ZX to Ben in Ohio. I met with my friend in the photo last Tuesday and we got the car loaded without too much trouble. Jim had put a Chevy turbo V8 in it (or he may have bought it that way) but he never finished fettling it. I hope to get a ride in it sometime when Ben gets it driving again-I bet it is a rocket.
The car was sitting on the left side of his house by the street with the key in the ignition and the doors unlocked! Ben is now a happy guy to finally have it with him and to remember his Dad. Sadly Vader belongs to a family member and it may never see the light of day again....

DSC05327.JPG Jim E's Nissan engine.JPG

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It was terrific that you were able to help Ben rescue this car. Jim and I discussed it several times. It was set up for drag racing and Jim said it was scary fast - which must have been incredibly quick, based on how fast Vader was! -but just barely streetable. His plan was to put in a new rear end, or at least new gearing in the existing rear. I don't remember if he ever got that done or not. I guess Ben will find out! .

Now, if we could only figure out a way to rescue Vader. Sadly, I know you tried, as have others.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It is my recollection that Jim sold the OGM several months before dropping out of the Alpine world. It came as somewhat of a surprise after all the time he spent tending to her rusties.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes. OGM.

renamed “Critter”

it was a running car but he basically stripped it. Took a few years to find all the stuff it needed but runs strong now. Still needs paint and a bunch of little items.

I bought it simply because he had made the necessary mods to accept the V6 and T5, as well as replacing all the rusty stuff.

I hope he would have approved of it now.
I think jim would love what's been done.. Apart from high back seats... All the body mods etc he would have thought were great... I guess it really is the OGM... BUT now it aint what it used to be means show car vs diamond in the rough

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not sure I follow but when I got it, it was as pictured above. Doors hood and trunk lid weren’t attached. No door or window mechanisms. All had to be sourced. Anyway…

Once it’s mechanically buttoned up, it will be a dark metallic grey. Maybe silver stripes, Shelby pattern.
Nick, not sure exactly what you are confused about. But the story about the OGM is that 25 years ago, it was the recipient of several 1725 engine builds (hot) that Jim went through. It won the "Diamond In the Rough" at one of the early Invasions. Maybe Invasion III in Georgia?. Once Vader was road worthy, Jim decided to put the body back into good condition, took it off the road and it never hit the pavement again while Jim owned it.
Bill