• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Installing Carpet

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Has anyone had any luck installing carpets from VB? Any tricks?? Mine doesnt seem to want to fit without a lot of extra triming on almost every piece. Do they cut the kit with THAT much extra material? Also, on the vertical piece behind the seats is a strip of vinyl about 1.5" wide the length of the top edge of the carpet...Is that a half sewed (mis-sowed) piece of binding, or do I use that to attach with some way? Is Ricks carpet kits worth the extra $130?

65beam

Donation Time
carpet

send the VB carpet back and buy one of the SS kits. the quality of the SS material is worth the extra money. my personal opinion is that having bought parts for sunbeams for forty plus years I can not understand why you would buy from another sunbeam supplier.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
My money tree didn't bear well last year.. This area has been hit hard by the Obamabug and my tree was hit hard. Life goes on tho....

Anyone have any tips for making the best out of the carpet I have?

65beam

Donation Time
carpet

if the vinyl is sewn the entire width of the package tray then it is intended to be brought up over the edge of the package tray to secure and finish the edge. set the top edge of the carpet under the flange that sticks out and use snaps to secure the top of the carpet against the flange. then glue and pull the vinyl over the flange or secure it with snaps. the package tray carpet should cover this vinyl. keep in mind that it's easier to remove material than try to add material. there should also be either vinyl or carpet that covers the trans tunnel under the console. you may have a piece of carpet that glues over the frame rail at the area where the front of the console sets. this would be roughly a foot long and 1 1/2 inch wide. it may have edging sewn to it. you may also have a triangle shaped piece of carpet that glues over the center of the rear end bulge at the back center of the package tray. some kits have either vinyl or carpet to glue on the frame rail at the sides of the package tray. make sure you put the side inner sill pieces under the edge of the foot well kick panels. go to my photobucket and look at page 6 & 7. there are photos showing the installation of the carpet in my series 4. http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/

Last edited:

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
if the vinyl is sewn the entire width of the package tray then it is intended to be brought up over the edge of the package tray to secure and finish the edge. set the top edge of the carpet under the flange that sticks out and use snaps to secure the top of the carpet against the flange. then glue and pull the vinyl over the flange or secure it with snaps. the package tray carpet should cover this vinyl. That vinyl strip is just what I thought it was then, more or less just a glue flange
keep in mind that it's easier to remove material than try to add material. there should also be either vinyl or carpet that covers the trans tunnel under the console. you may have a piece of carpet that glues over the frame rail at the area where the front of the console sets. this would be roughly a foot long and 1 1/2 inch wide. it may have edging sewn to it. you may also have a triangle shaped piece of carpet that glues over the center of the rear end bulge at the back center of the package tray. I'v got this piece, I figured that was what it was for. It's one of the pieces I can not get to lay out smooth at all. some kits have either vinyl or carpet to glue on the frame rail at the sides of the package tray. make sure you put the side inner sill pieces under the edge of the foot well kick panels. go to my photobucket and look at page 6 & 7. there are photos showing the installation of the carpet in my series 4.
Thanks for the info and pics. One question I have that your pics didn't show up is the trans tunnel piece snapped or screwed down, and where is the proper placement of fasteners to get to the trans fill plug? And is the package tray piece fastened at all, or does it just lay there (over the battery box lid)?

65beam

Donation Time
carpet

I have the snap screws holding the drivers side of the tunnel carpet in place. on the right side I stretch the carpet tight and secure it with the false floor at the front. the back is held in place by one snap at the back. I trim the padding on the floor sections so the pieces lay over the tunnel piece without any bulges. the package tray has snaps on the back corners and I have two snaps under the flange behind each seat. my snaps for the carpet are the hidden type so they don't show and the package tray cover has black snaps .