• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Inside grille paint on S2

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Anyone have an original early series car that could explain to me how it's painted, or a picture would be very helpful of the core support behind the grille, also inside the vent holes in the front valance. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Junkman, If you search for Paint" You will find some discussion of the grille colour..... Quote> Agree - all are sprayed body colour, full gloss. The only place that gets flat black is around the inside of the front grille aperture, back to the radiator, but not the top of the front valence. There's a thread here on the forum with photos of this blacked-out area.Unquote

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob those were nice PIC's but as you said they were duplicated. I removed them so you can do them over. Really meant to only delete the dups, [please for give?

alpine_64

Donation Time
If i understand rhw question correctly you are wanting to know if the area behind the grill on series I-3 id painted the matt black like it is on the siv-v.

This was debated a few years back. From photos of early cars in period i have seen the vertical faces behind the grill area as the flat black. Same goes for the gutter areas inside the a post where the door closes.

65beam

Donation Time
These photos are of a one owner series 2 and is the only original paint early Alpine that I've seen in our travels around the country over the years other than my series 1 that I recently crushed and I've seen it mentioned before that there was some black behind the grill. It's too bad that Ted's car is the original factory black which would make it difficult to see the paint if it was brushed flat black. I should have taken photos of my series 1 but didn't. I do have the trunk lid of my car because it was sold at Sports Car Forum in Columbus and I wanted the dealer sticker. I have started painting the A post area on the Harrington but it's a time consuming job trying not to get it on anything else. This series 1 belongs to Ted Casey from Pa. It's a left hand drive car that he bought new while stationed in the U.K.PTDC0268.JPG PTDC0267.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
65beam, Your POST about the owner Ted Casey, reminded me of him, I met He and His wife at the UNITED in VA Sept 2017, Very nice Couple,

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
Ted has been around a few years. I wonder if he still has his Tiger. Since this thread started about a question of what was original here are a few other photos of Ted's car. FYI, several have questioned the radio mount in his car. The U.K. dealer installed it the same day that Ted took delivery of the car. This series 2 has an SAL tag like later cars.

Attachments

• PTDC0269.JPG
    PTDC0269.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 38
  • PTDC0270.JPG
    PTDC0270.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 36
  • PTDC0273.JPG
    PTDC0273.JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 37
  • PTDC0262.JPG
    PTDC0262.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 36
  • PTDC0261.JPG
    PTDC0261.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 35

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
He said He still had the Tiger when we were talking!

The Radio in the picture is like the one (pictured below) in my '65 SIV ST Colour code 70 with OD, which was also purchased by my friend Kirby while He was stationed in the UK, driven about three years there then shipped to Shaw AFB in SC.

I've noted several things that are "different" in it also from the norm, it has the Black grain upholstery with black piping.

Another feature or I should say is or was an option for Kirby was that He had the Alpine (last digits 3819) ordered from Rootes with Colour Code 70 Maroon and it went down the assembly line to be painted that colour, NOT afterwards by a dealer.

Included below is a PIC of my radio, the speaker, frame & grille are in excellent condition.

Attachments

• DSC02912.JPG
    DSC02912.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 22

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for your comments guys, I will brush carefully and maybe see you guys in Long Island with it in Sept.

65beam

Donation Time
He said He still had the Tiger when we were talking!

The Radio in the picture is like the one (pictured below) in my '65 SIV ST Colour code 70 with OD, which was also purchased by my friend Kirby while He was stationed in the UK, driven about three years there then shipped to Shaw AFB in SC.

I've noted several things that are "different" in it also from the norm, it has the Black grain upholstery with black piping.

Another feature or I should say is or was an option for Kirby was that He had the Alpine (last digits 3819) ordered from Rootes with Colour Code 70 Maroon and it went down the assembly line to be painted that colour, NOT afterwards by a dealer.

Included below is a PIC of my radio, the speaker, frame & grille are in excellent condition.
Dan,
This is a photo of the radio mount in my red Harrington. It's the one that many say is the "correct" mounting for a series 2. The one in Ted's car was installed in his series 2 by the dealer the day he took delivery of his new car. Notice that Ted's is what is "correct" for later series 4 & 5 cars. Makes you wonder what other Rootes vehicles used the later mounting at an earlier time. I don't know!100_0296.JPG

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
P8310061.JPG Junkman, I have a photo of my original (never been painted) Harrington Le Mans (Series II platform) showing the grill and the area behind the grill. All of the sheet metal components were the original Moonstone White body color. The only black color was used in the vertical support pieces behind the grill's horizontal chromed segments. All of the undercarriage was painted the body color as well.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I checked my Series I parts car and there is black brushed on the areas described by Michael. In my Harrington Le Mans' original state there was nothing painted black behind the grill except for the vertical grill pieces and the radiator.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Today I got a close look and I found on on one of my S2 parts cars original 39 code black paint half way under the eyebrow and though pretty rusty down into the coves. So thanks guys, not sure they all were that way, but it makes sense to highlight the shine of the chrome of the grill against the black.