• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Identifying an early 260 engine

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
My Tiger came with several engines, one of which has me stumped. It is definitely a 260, based on the two freeze plugs, but the only identification number I can find on it is "2H14" which looks more like a date code than an engine identifier. If it is, that means it is from 1962, which is more likely a Ford Falcon than a Tiger, but the lack of any engine code is what has me stumped. Some photos are below. Anyone have any ideas?

02D00E3A-1C7A-4CF4-990A-DDA3EE11BB3E_1_201_a.jpeg tempImagelZ9mEo.png tempImagenjuaWF.png

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Jim, Definately a 260. Maybe a 62 year out of a Fairlane or Falcon. I have a 63. I'll check my number. I just went out and checked. My block has no numbers.

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting! I’ve been researching Ford engine numbers and haven’t seen any reference to the early 260’s not having numbers. Do you know if this engine would be of interest to Falcon or Fairlane owners?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Mine probably has numbers inside the block. I know mine is from a 63 Fairlane. Numbers on intake, heads and exhaust manifolds on mine all start with C3. Do you have any other parts with the motor? Maybe they start with C2?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Jim, I looked again at your picture and I had to look underneath. My number is CK22. That is probably a foundry casting #. Not ID#. Maybe yours is an industrial block and not passenger car?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
First Gen 260s (not Tiger 260s) have the block casting ID numbers up at the top rear of the block.

Between the bellhousing and intake manifold.

They have 2 freeze plugs per side and the motor mount bolts are 6" apart.

Block casting ID numbers look like this:

P1010058.JPG

Last edited:

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just for the record, even though you can't see it well, the base engine block number is 6015.

The Prefix and suffix determine the ID.

DW

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
First Gen 260s (not Tiger 260s) have the block casting ID numbers up at the top rear of the block.
Thanks for that! I spent a fair amount of time online looking for that information and never came up with it. I should have know to ask here first!

C20E 6015 as expected. So, early 260 block. I knew it wasn't Tiger, but couldn't identify it. My (our, since I co-own it with Mototron) came with a handful of engines, none of them in the car. One is a 289, too early for a MkII (3J16, so late 1963) but a nice potential engine for our car. A couple of the others are 302's and I think one other 289. Still lots of body work to go before we start thinking about the engine, but I know it won't be the 260.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yup, 260s don't get a LOT of Love...

I did one for the street a few years ago ( I've done several 260s), that pulled 237 rear wheel HP.

I put a 302 crank in it.

These days there are several stroker cranks to consider, with custom pistons.

The beauty of the 302 crank is you can use the 260 pistons with a 302 crank and rods.

And you get the added benny of a much needed higher compression!

DW

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
When I get around to rebuilding mine, I am using GT40 Iron heads milled .040 thousands. I'm hoping with the right cam to get around 250HP at the flywheel.

alpine_64

Donation Time
. One is a 289, too early for a MkII (3J16, so late 1963) but a nice potential engine for our car.
Jim if its a 5 bolt 289 its a valuable block for cobra falcon sprint and mustang guys...
And useful for a tiger if you dont want to go 6 bolt behousing and use stock mki stuff....

But given you aren't building stock...sell the 5 bolt 289 and can probably but a crate 302 and change

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
But given you aren't building stock...sell the 5 bolt 289 and can probably but a crate 302 and change
That is the current plan. Now, I just need to find an early Cobra owner looking for a date correct 289. Anyone know one?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
im, I'm on the Cobra forum. I'll pass the word over there. 63 5 bolt bell 289. right?
Right. Here are a couple of pictures. It is a block with caps only. I have a set of cast heads that may go with it, but I doubt anyone will want those. I did a quick and dirty bore measurement and came up with 4", so I don't think it has been bored.

THANKS!

tempImagedP8P4L.pngtempImage0rUVc2.png tempImageYOyB5O.png

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
BTW: I am in eastern Long Island, but would deliver the engine within a reasonable distance in the North East. I will probably drive to Florida at some point this winter, which would increase my potential delivery zone.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Jim, Thanks, I posted you were in NY with a link to this page. Most of the guys over there have replicas with modified motors but it only takes one that is trying to be period correct. Motor is probably 64 with C4#. Also ideal for the 64 1/2 Mustang.

Last edited: