• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Identify this engine

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I can identify all my engines (most are Alpine 1725s). However, this one has me perplexed. Any help is welcomed.

The way I read this block stamp it would be: 11941856
H LSX

upload_2021-2-10_14-2-14.png

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
jdoclogan,

I'll make a guess but would not give high probability for correctness.

The first symbol is not a "1", but part of an "A".

The block probably has a early to mid 1959 cast date code.

The block should have a second optional fuel pump location.

If given all those things, it should be a 1500, iron headed, engine from a Minx III DeLuxe Special.

pruyter

Donation Time
No doubt it is the engine which belongs in a Hillman Minx series III, this engine has 1494 cc and an iron head.
LSX stands for :

L = Lefthand drive;
S = Saloon;
X = North American specification.

The H is puzzling because normally it stands for Home market i.e. Great Britain.

Another strange thing is that this letters are normally shown on a chassis plate and not on the engine and yes normally the engine number is situated above the petrol pump

Regards,

Peter

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
The H is puzzling because normally it stands for Home market i.e. Great Britain. Peter

Peter,

The "H" is for "High compression" like "OD" is for overdrive on an Alpine engine. The Minx III had three possible compression ratios available depending on fuel quality in different markets.

H > 8.5:1

M > 7.8:1

L > 7.0:1

Hope this helps,