• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hub Puller

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Dan W came over and used his puller. Took him less than 15 minutes to pop both off, and that was with us chatting away. His puller does not use the center bolt to do the heavy lifting. Thanks Dan!

Last edited:

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I can't say "seen one, seen them all, when it comes to pullers!

I should have taken a picture of the one Jay tried first...

I'm liken Gumby's!

DW

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
The "trick" that I think made the difference with Dan's (0ther than that it was operated by Dan*), is that his puller (see page one of this thread) applied more force by tightening the four outside bolts, a little at a time. Dan pointed out that it gives more leverage and power - and proof in the result, he didn't apply more than 50 ft lbs. I can assure you, I applied multiples of that when I was trying the center bolt method. The axles and hubs were already out of the rear end when he did it too.

*FWIW, Dan is thought of by my sons as a legend and hero because of all the years we've seen him at the historic races wrenching and racing Tigers and lately Alpines - and his always welcoming demeanor in the paddock.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here are instructions on making one designed for Sunbeam hubs.
http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp

I have a universal puller that I've used successfully several times, although it has also bent one hub (rear, of course) in the process, something I don't think the custom one would do. This isn't mine, but it is similar.
OTC (7394) Universal Hub Puller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRH60/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_.1Gpxb6T9WEQW
The puller that SS had with a 4th added arm for a puller. Worked great on spline hubs.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
New query. As above, DanW took off the hubs on a rear end so I can get to the backing plates.

I now had to take off the wire wheel hubs on my Alpine to change the brakes. I made a puller along the lines of Dan's, but perhaps a bit more basic. I took an old hub I had and drilled out the four threaded holes. I got long 7/16 bolts at the hardware store. I just ran those four bolts through the hub to the threaded holes on my hub. And, like DanW, I just tightened each bolt, a small turn at a time until it just popped off the hub. SO easy.

Now I am reassembling with DanR's disc brakes. And I'm realizing the rotors will be bolted to those four holes and I won't be able to use the puller like Dan's (or my version). So I will need to get one of these types. Anyone have good or bad things to say about them? I'm assuming they are fine as long as the hub isn't tightened down/weathered too much.

KACK021%201.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jay, David Hall, a member here bought one of those type hub pullers and is very pleased with it.

I also just recently discovered a design flaw when I had to pull one of my wire hubs.

Also, I made a wheel puller specifically for my disc brakes when mounted on the wire wheel Alpine (s).

Please give me a call. I just sent you an e-mail.

You are the first to run into this.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jay, David Hall, a member here bought one of those type hub pullers and is very pleased with it.

I also just recently discovered a design flaw when I had to pull one of my wire hubs.

Also, I made a wheel puller specifically for my disc brakes when mounted on the wire wheel Alpine (s).

Please give me a call. I just sent you an e-mail.

You are the first to run into this.
Recently used this on my Harrington LM, and it worked like a charm. I am not sure if my hubs had ever been off. Lube all threads, put in a sacrificial washer, screw it on the hub threads, and we used a portable impact wrench to remove. Glad to share. Got it from Motor Wheel Service as pictured. David