• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How to remove revmeter from dashboard SV

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
My revmeter needs some attention (restoration) as the indicated rev's are not correct anymore.
How do I remove the revmeter from the dashboard ?
All the electrical connections are of as well as the bracket and the two lock nuts.
The revmeter sits very tight in the round cut-out of the dashboard.
I applied quiet a bit of force, trying to turn and pull at the same time, nothing moves, next steep would be a crack ...
Is there anyting else to loosen (can't see any) apart from the bracket with the two lock nuts?
Any experience or hint is appreciated, thanks a lot. Aunty google is of no help.

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Have you tried a gentle wiggle from the backside of the gauge? I’m guessing that one side is higher than the other in the hole and that you would have some more leverage to move the gauge with the depth of the gauge.

On getting the revs to honestly reflect the revs of the motor:
I just did — literally moments ago —adjust my tach to reflect how fast the motor is turning at idle. I found if the circumstances are right you do not need to remove the tach from the dash to make a dial adjustment. I was planning a separate post, but let me know if this is what you are looking for.

be well
Andrew

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Gordon thanks, the rubber ring is new for me. Do you have a picture of what I can expect "behind the surprise"?
Is the rubber ring on the housing of the revmeter or is it part of the round cut-out?
I have been thinking of applying some lubricant from behind the DB, not Oil, WD40 or grease, but thinking of PTFE (Teflon) spray as it should not soften and swell material.
And - working overhead and underneath with the handle of the handbrake in the back is really fun ..

Andrew thanks, I tried to pull/push in all directions from the backside of the gauge.
I decided to restore it now, earlier or later it will be due so or so.
Andy

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The O-ring is a square cross section ring and slips onto the barrel of the housing and fits primarily between the flange of the tach and the dash. It's possible that a previous owner has replaced that ring with silicone seal! The tach is not a tight fit in the dash, so it's normally quite straightforward to tilt the tach to break lose any adhesion from the o-ring, but if someone used silicone seal it might be difficult.

Tom

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
... all good. The revmeter is out of the dashboard, ready to be repaired by the electronics technician.
I myself don't want to risk doing the restoration myself, as I am not equipped properly, and I have only one revmeter ..!

Thanks to your descriptions I knew approx. what to expect. The O-ring was squeezed between canister and dashboard cut out (see the yellow arrows).
It was not to difficult to remove it, sitting in the driver seat facing the revmeter, hands underneath and behind the dashboard, wiggleling it until it got loose in one place at the circumference, making the "fishmouth" bigger and bigger until it was entirely free (see attachment).
Andy

Attachments

• 20220805_Tacho_Revcounter_web.jpg
    20220805_Tacho_Revcounter_web.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello Michael
... thank you, as English is not my mother tongue I have to rely on dictionaries to help me out, somtimes using www.dict.cc
No worries, I have added "tacho.." to my vocabulary too. I am aware that language finesse may fall short sometimes, never mind. Our Alpine's are simple compared to today's cars, and I like the international presence of Sunbeam's and its community.
Andy

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hello Michael
... thank you, as English is not my mother tongue I have to rely on dictionaries to help me out, somtimes using www.dict.cc
No worries, I have added "tacho.." to my vocabulary too. I am aware that language finesse may fall short sometimes, never mind. Our Alpine's are simple compared to today's cars, and I like the international presence of Sunbeam's and its community.
Andy
No problem Andy.. Was just a new term for me..
When i joined the forum i was always conguses about "hood" in the USA its a bonnet... In the UK and colonies its the soft top... Same with Trunk as opposed to "boot" fender as oppsoed to guard and then sway bar or anti roll bar... All part of intentional automotive chat