• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How much timing?

twospeed

Donation Time
My S3 motor was redone over the winter with head porting--and a Delta KC grind cam. How much timing should I use? Last thing I did was time it with a vaccum gauge and I think I could use more.
When I drive it hard I hear no pinging at all, runs ok but should I just keep putting timing in it till it pings and then back off?
Plugs look nice and no spots.
This motor is a pig from a light but when I get it about 3000 rpm it likes it alot and runs great. Temp is great at about 180 deg on a 100+ day in traffic and on the road about 170.
Maybe I should ask this as this is my first Alpine,is it normal for them to have no power from a stop?

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The ping method is what I do, but you need to run high test gas all the time as this is some what consitant, I tried to set it up for reg. gas but there is to much differance from one tank to the other. Gas quality just plan sucks! The pinging is its worst when you are hot and pulling a hill at speed, but with a little work you can get it smoothed out. Good luck:cool:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Set the distributor for 32 degrees advance at max advance (3500+ rpm).

Verify that the idle timing is somewhere near 8 degrees adv (6 to 11 is OK).
If it is not, the mech advance is messed up and needs rebuilt.

IMO the 32 degrees max adv is more important than what the idle adv is assuming the mech adv is working correctly.

32 degrees will give the best power without fear of detonation.

Use also the highest pump octane fuel available (91 to 93) and avoid fuel that tells you it has ethanol added if you can. Ethanol augmented fuel will run lean in an engine calibrated for real gasoline.

twospeed

Donation Time
The ping method is what I do, but you need to run high test gas all the time as this is some what consitant, I tried to set it up for reg. gas but there is to much differance from one tank to the other. Gas quality just plan sucks! The pinging is its worst when you are hot and pulling a hill at speed, but with a little work you can get it smoothed out. Good luck:cool:
BP is the only fuel this car likes. And when I had the head off I set TDC and made a new pointer for the Crank pulley.
I know for shure I am more than 32 deg's of advance----should I give it more still?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
The crank pulley could have become offset, too. The rubber has been known to allow slip between the hub and the outer pulley/timing marks.

You might also check to make sure your mechanical and vacuum advance are working well, not sticking, etc. (Unless I've missed some details on your car.)

twospeed

Donation Time
When I rebuilt the motor I set TDC with a dial indicator and degree wheel, made a new pointer to show "0" on the balancer.
Dizzy is new electronic piece and curve works fine.