• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How much more is an alpine with overdrive worth

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey All
How much more would you pay for or ask for - for Alpine with Overdrive?
In addition to driving versatility, there must be a premium when buying a rat or a show car with OD.

Thanks for considering the question
Andrew

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think it probably increases the price of a car about 1/2 to 3/4 of what adding one would cost. So... as a guess I'd say adding one is about $1700-ish... so, it should add about $1K to the price. But hey, that's just my guess. Like opinions, everyone has one.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think it probably increases the price of a car about 1/2 to 3/4 of what adding one would cost. So... as a guess I'd say adding one is about $1700-ish... so, it should add about $1K to the price. But hey, that's just my guess. Like opinions, everyone has one.
Id say the cost of adding one is more than 1700 if you are getting a Rebuilt unit with tail shaft, speedo, relay and switch.. Id vuess about 2500 so add 2k to the price...
But .. Most people dont realise that when buying

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
The cost of the kit- complete is about $2800. There will, of course, be ancillary costs depending on your car and how you choose to proceed. While I have no doubt, the driving experience will be enhanced— my car sounds as if it could use another gear at around 50/55mph— driving only at or up to 50mph is not that great of an issue. As my car sits, driving at freeway speeds would be challenging OD or not and in my climate driving an open car has its own limitations ( rainy and cold) ? The OD swap made sense for me with my BGT ( no problem 75mph+ on a freeway on a rainy day) , but I am on the fence when it comes to doing a swap in my Sunbeam.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The cost of the kit- complete is about $2800. There will, of course, be ancillary costs depending on your car and how you choose to proceed. While I have no doubt, the driving experience will be enhanced— my car sounds as if it could use another gear at around 50/55mph— driving only at or up to 50mph is not that great of an issue. As my car sits, driving at freeway speeds would be challenging OD or not and in my climate driving an open car has its own limitations ( rainy and cold) ? The OD swap made sense for me with my BGT ( no problem 75mph+ on a freeway on a rainy day) , but I am on the fence when it comes to doing a swap in my Sunbeam.
You are debating fitting OD to an alpine? NO BRAINER... biggest difference you can make. An OD and keep the 3.89 final drive...if you have a 4.22 switch to a 3.89.. The if you use taller tyres on the rear at least the car will happily sot on the freeway/ highway.

I have a OD trans 3.89 rwar and run 195/65/14 on the rear and the car happily sits at hogheay speeds. I've also got a hardtop.. Put some insulation in the top and you have a relatively mechanically relaxed, quiet'ish and warm cruiser

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
You are debating fitting OD to an alpine? NO BRAINER... biggest difference you can make. An OD and keep the 3.89 final drive...if you have a 4.22 switch to a 3.89.. The if you use taller tyres on the rear at least the car will happily sot on the freeway/ highway.

I have a OD trans 3.89 rwar and run 195/65/14 on the rear and the car happily sits at hogheay speeds. I've also got a hardtop.. Put some insulation in the top and you have a relatively mechanically relaxed, quiet'ish and warm cruiser
The OD turned my Series V into a different car, even just for fun runs on country roads, but definitely on the 30-60 minute, four lane commutes to shows and cruise-ins around my area.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Add me to the OD lovers. Best single thing I ever did to my Alpine. However, I am not sure I agree with those that say it doesn't return at least 100%. I feel like enough people know the benefits - and rarity - to make it a stronger selling point. But, that is just a wild-assed (and maybe wishful) guess on my part; I have absolutely no data to back it up.