• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How leaky is leaky BAD

Acollin

Donation Time
1966 series v -mostly stock non overdrive gearbox.

Hello all

Some of you know that I will be pulling my non overdrive gearbox in the coming weeks to fix an annoying leak and was wondering how bad you folks think my leaking gearbox really is.
It is an embarrassment for me to drive to a friends house and leave the small puddle on his asphalt so the fix will be happening, but I would like your thoughts on my current condition.

Yesterday, I topped up the gearbox and took the car for a 15 mile drive. Some local roads and a few highway miles. I was leaving a noticeable trail of drips when I pulled into my shop but —- drips not a steady uninterrupted line of gear oil. When I looked under the car, I was dripping from the bell housing as I expected. It soon stopped. Today, I checked the gear oil level and was surprised by how little oil I used to top up again. I do not know exactly how much I added — maybe 2 ounces. It was such a little amount, I checked the sump, to see if I had been wrong all along and it was my engine main seal was the problem.
This is not a huge problem for me as checking fluids are a regular part of what I do with my cars as I stated earlier it is an annoyance more than a mechanical problem.

I would like to know more about leaking gearboxes! How bad can the front seal leak be.? —— any anecdotal stories of leaking gear boxes that would shame me as too finicky? Will I be name a superfund site?
Thanks all for listening
Andrew
Sandy, Oregon

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
How did you narrow down what is leaking - the gearbox versus the engine, or possibly both?

I use Brad Penn oil in my engine, which is a green color. The oil I use in the gearbox is brown. When I see a leak, it is easy to determine the source based on the color of the fluid.

Mike

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
It sounds to me like the front seal in the gear box is leaking. You don’t need oil flying around in the bell housing you can destroy the clutch!!

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I was losing a lot of oil from a transmission once. It turned out it was the top shifter mechanism. Easy in the car fix.