• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hot so Hot in Tulsa!

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
:( Here it is the 2nd day of Summer and most of the Northern States are having a blast out driving the Alpine's, meanwhile here in the Bible Belt we are experiencing HELL, Heat Advisories for the last week. When the lowest temperature is 80 degrees at night or pre dawn it never really cools off. Vicki is parked till weather cools down; I could get up at daybreak, which would mean 6:30am and take her for a spin but then I need to get to work. Global warming has a new meaning since during winter and the snow storms it sounded kind of silly, not now!

Donna
:D

socorob

Donation Time
same here, it doesnt get down under 90 degress until after dark, but with the heat index its around 100 at night, 105-108 during the day with the heat index. Convertible season is almost over here now, you raraly see anyone with the top down in the last month or 2. Guess all we can do is wait till fall, get any upgrades done now.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Florida hasn't been left out. Jacksonville hit 102 (real temperature) last week.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Around the DC area it's in the 90's w/, I heard heat index 100. To me it's no big deal, I expect 90+ temps and 90+ humidity, in the Summer. Sounds a lot like La. We haven't even turned on the central AC. What's this about not riding w/the top down?:eek: Nothin' that a wide brim straw hat won't fix;)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's not a big deal, until you stop. Then I hope to find some shade to sit in so the sun isn't beating down on me.:D

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
107 in Phoenix today. 110+ Saturday. Next month 110-115..... :eek: Top that...

After I shoot the pictures for the contest Andrew announced, Series 6 is going up on jackstands for the balance of the summer. Maintenance and undercarrage work for the next few months. Rotating the air in the tires, stuff like that...

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ahhh, but it's a dry heat.;)

Add high humidity to that.

Right now, at 10:00 AM it's 82 and 74% humidity and expected to be in the mid to high 90's

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Just a Warning by NWS

weather.gov
National Weather Service

Heat Advisory
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TULSA OK
1113 AM CDT THU JUN 24 2010

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM CDT THIS EVENING...

A HEAT ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT...

FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...

* IN OKLAHOMA...CHEROKEE...CREEK...OKFUSKEE...OKMULGEE...
PUSHMATAHA...TULSA...ROGERS...MAYES...PAWNEE...WAGONER...
CHOCTAW...WASHINGTON...OSAGE...CRAIG...NOWATA...PITTSBURG...
SEQUOYAH...MCINTOSH...MUSKOGEE...LE FLORE...LATIMER AND HASKELL.

IN ARKANSAS...CRAWFORD...SEBASTIAN AND FRANKLIN.

IMPACTS...
* THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL
COMBINE TO CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE
POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
* DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS...STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM...STAY
OUT OF THE SUN...AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.

* STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...COMMERCIAL RADIO OR TELEVISION
FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION CONCERNING THIS WEATHER EVENT.
ADDITIONAL WEATHER INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT:
WEATHER.GOV/TULSA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM.
RISK...LIMITED.
AREA...EAST CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST OKLAHOMA AND NORTHWEST
ARKANSAS.
ONSET...THIS AFTERNOON.

DANGEROUS HEAT.
RISK...LIMITED.
AREA...EASTERN OKLAHOMA AND WEST CENTRAL ARKANSAS.
ONSET...THIS AFTERNOON.

DISCUSSION...
SEVERAL OUTFLOW BOUNDARIES FROM EARLIER THUNDERSTORMS LAY ACROSS THE
AREA EARLY THIS MORNING. THESE BOUNDARIES...ALONG WITH A WEAK COLD
FRONT...WILL LIKELY SETTLE NEAR THE INTERSTATE 40 CORRIDOR LATER
TODAY AND PROVIDE THE FOCUS FOR SCATTERED THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT.
WHILE WIND PROFILES ARE FORECAST TO BE RATHER WEAK...HIGH
INSTABILITY WILL SUPPORT A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS. DAMAGING WINDS
AND LARGE HAIL WILL BE THE PRIMARY THREAT.

SPOTTER AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ACTION STATEMENT...
LOCAL SPOTTER ACTIVATION MAY BE NEEDED.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.
FRIDAY...DANGEROUS HEAT POTENTIAL.
SATURDAY...THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL.
SUNDAY...THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL...DANGEROUS HEAT POTENTIAL.
MONDAY...THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL.
TUESDAY...THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL.
WEDNESDAY...NO HAZARDS.

EXTENDED DISCUSSION...
THE WEAK SURFACE BOUNDARIES ACROSS THE REGION WILL BECOME DIFFUSE ON
FRIDAY...WITH MORE HEAT AND HUMIDITY RETURNING FOR THE WEEKEND.
ANOTHER WEAK FRONT MAY APPROACH THE AREA LATER SUNDAY INTO
MONDAY...BRINGING INCREASING CHANCES OF THUNDERSTORMS.

socorob

Donation Time
It's overcast here drizzling off and on with a heat index here is 111, Phoenix is 115. At least in the dry climates your sweat actually works and does what it's supposed to do and evaporate and cool you off. The humid places you just get more and more wet. I should move out west.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's overcast here drizzling off and on with a heat index here is 111, Phoenix is 115. At least in the dry climates your sweat actually works and does what it's supposed to do and evaporate and cool you off. The humid places you just get more and more wet. I should move out west.

Don't kid yourself, 115 is hellish hot. Any breeze and you are in a convection oven. If outside, the best you can do is find some shade. Any strenuous work is out of the question. I was in school with a potato farmer from Bakersfield. I asked him how they managed to work in the daytime heat. They didn't. Any work that had to be done when temps were up was done before 10:00 in the morning or after sundown.

He was not a big fan of the "dry heat" argument. He much preferred the heat and humidity of central Missouri, which is quality stuff.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you Bill...

I never bought the Dry Heat excuse since I came down here. You need to remember the over abundance of swimming pools and man made lakes required in some of the new home developments... It gets very humid here. Also, remember, for several weeks, even at night, the temp never dips below 100. I've made it a habit when I come home to open the hood on my daily driver and leave it open all night with the overhead fan on in the garage. I discovered if I don't do that, in the morning when I start the car, the temp gauge goes right up to operating temp. Also, my batteries tend to last longer. Average car battery down here lasts 2-2.5 years. I normally get an additional year.

My Alpine lives in my insulated, air conditioned, separate third garage. On hot days it shares it with my dog when I'm at work. Tried to train Critter to do basic maintenance but she can't seem to put tools away in their proper places....:D

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Hey, fzzxtchr:

Where are you in the OKC area? I'm in Edmond...any chance you're up in my neck of the woods? I'd like to hear from you!!! Shoot me a PM...

Take care and stay dry,

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Only Oklahoma hot to flood!

How high is the creek? Looks like I may need a amphi car to cross Bird Creek before the week is over!
fzzxtchr welcome to the Okie sunbeam group, we are few and far, if your ever close to Tulsa give me a shout!

Donna
:D

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I was in Phoenix during the cold spell this time last week... 105 in the shade of the rental car parking garage... probably a little more in the sun. Humidity a sticky 7 percent. So Jim D. and I spent the mid-day hours packing up some parts into the rental truck. Not the hardest task, but it required Gatorade and rest breaks. His fridge was also home to the Goop hand cleaner, lest it separate like bad mayo. It was pushing 100 here in Columbus today, but it rained tonight and dropped to 75. I don't think I've been away from air conditioning for more than 10 minutes this entire week.

Ken