• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Horn Bolts

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm into minutia here. Series V. I currently have unpainted stainless bolts for mounting the horn brackets. I came across a bag of hardware my dad had labeled as "series 5 horns". It looks like the bolt heads were originally painted black. The interesting part is the different bolt lengths. Two bolts are the same length - 1/2". Then there are longer, different lengths for each of the other two bolts - one is 5/8" and the other is 1".

upload_2020-4-27_23-52-43.png

I'm not seeing the different bolt lengths in the Parts Manual. It appears they should all be the same length - 5/8" - based on the Parts Manual.

upload_2020-4-27_23-59-5.png

Wondering if anyone else has found different bolt lengths used for attaching the horns / distance bracket.

I guess one of the series V oil cooler lines originally went through the horn opening left of the radiator. (My series V has been updated to have both oil cooler lines go through the horn opening right of the radiator.) The Parts Manual mentions a clip for the oil cooler line attaching to a horn bracket. Wondering if that was originally the left or right side and if it might have necessitated the need for a longer bolt.

upload_2020-4-27_23-50-24.png

Thanks,
Mike

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm into minutia here. Series V. I currently have unpainted stainless bolts for mounting the horn brackets. I came across a bag of hardware my dad had labeled as "series 5 horns". It looks like the bolt heads were originally painted black. The interesting part is the different bolt lengths. Two bolts are the same length - 1/2". Then there are longer, different lengths for each of the other two bolts - one is 5/8" and the other is 1".

View attachment 19536

I'm not seeing the different bolt lengths in the Parts Manual. It appears they should all be the same length - 5/8" - based on the Parts Manual.

View attachment 19537

Wondering if anyone else has found different bolt lengths used for attaching the horns / distance bracket.

I guess one of the series V oil cooler lines originally went through the horn opening left of the radiator. (My series V has been updated to have both oil cooler lines go through the horn opening right of the radiator.) The Parts Manual mentions a clip for the oil cooler line attaching to a horn bracket. Wondering if that was originally the left or right side and if it might have necessitated the need for a longer bolt.

View attachment 19535

Thanks,
Mike
The original configuration on my S V The RH horn had an extension on the triangular plate attached to the horn. The oil line on the th side had the two longer bolts to allow the horn to move farther forward so the bracket for the oil line could positioned without chafing the oil line. There is supposed to be a clip on the oil line that attaches to the bracket.