• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hoo Boy Oil Leak.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Hoo Boy, went to play with the Big Boys this weekend at Auto Club Speedway. Took the son-in-laws Raybestos Car to run. And was able to park it in the "Big Boys" garage. And as leaving for the night looked back and saw this;
Sunny Playing with the Big Boys..jpg

Well, today cleaning up the car after the drive and dirt and the track. I found this;
Oil Leak.jpg

The Oil Cooler Line coupling joint appears to be leaking. Either I didn't get a good seal to start with, ( It did have a very slight leak kept trying to tighten it tighter.), or possibly there was some dirt that wasn't cleaned off correct. Anyway, Pretty big mess.

So obviously needs to be cleaned. Good Part is that I've got all new parts to install (Thanks Bruce) so they have to come off anyway and I can certainly clean it better with all off.

So, work with the original oil cooler? Or is anyone running a different brand that will still fit into that area?

Yeah, had a great time racing. Me? No, I'm just the window cleaner and tire changer.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Jim,
From what I've gathered over the years is that the stock oil cooler is marginal at best at doing what it's
supposed to do. I put an MGB type of cooler , which used modified cooler lines, and mounted it in front of the radiator.
Painted it low gloss black ( it was silver when purchased) and you couldn't see it behind the grill unless you knew
what you were looking for. That car has been running for over 3 years with that cooler and no issues with it yet.
Unless you're hung up on originality, there are many choices out there to improve cooling.
Hope that helped.
Cheers!
Steve