• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

honing out clutch line

66Alpine

Donation Time
hey everyone,

hopefully a quick question.. have filled my slave cylinder and tried to press down on the clutch, but it will not move at all..a couple of weeks ago a few of you suggested that i get a rebuild kit for the clutch cyl. and or heat the line up and hone it out..with what and how too..

thank you , the berger

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Probably easier to replace the clutch line; SS maybe others sells them complete with fittings.

hey everyone,

hopefully a quick question.. have filled my slave cylinder and tried to press down on the clutch, but it will not move at all..a couple of weeks ago a few of you suggested that i get a rebuild kit for the clutch cyl. and or heat the line up and hone it out..with what and how too..

thank you , the berger

63 Beamer

Donation Time
I don't understand how you could have filled the slave cylinder without being able to depress the clutch and bleed the air from the slave cylinder.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Johnny, I think you are confused. I followed and replied to your question last week. No one suggested you "heat" the line or hone the line. And I don't think you "filled the slave". The clutch pedal is linked to the MASTER cylinder, which is mounted on the firewall and includes a reservoir that you can add fluid to. So if you add fluid to the system you do so at the master, not the slave. From the master cylinder there is a line or tube that leads to a similar cylinder that is called the slave cylinder. It's highly unlikely that the problem is in the line. Most likely the problem is in the master cylinder or the slave cylinder or possibly both. First step should be to remove the master cylinder and disassemble it. Once you have the master cylinder in your hand you should be able to see if the piston moves freely inside the bore of the cylinder or if it is frozen or rusted and not moveable.

If the piston in the clutch master is frozen or rusted and not moveable you can purchase a new one from Sunbeam Specialties or repair the one you have. Repair kits are available that include the seals, but getting the frozen piston out of the old one and honing the bore correctly requires a honing tool and some experience.

If the master seems ok and the piston is not frozen or rusted then remove the slave cylinder and do the same steps noted above for the master.

The workshop manual is pretty handy for doing the disassembly and assembly, but does not describe how to hone the bore.

Tom