• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Historic Winton 2022

Five Reviver

Silver Level Sponsor

Here’s a link to a 45 minute film about Australia’s 2022 Historic Winton meeting, showcasing this highlight of Australian historic racing.

At 21:56 there is a two minute segment on the Group S category, which includes a few racing shots of my Series V.

The Winton event is the reason I want to run an Alpine on the track and it’s worth every minute of the all day drive to get there.

In addition to that event, I do a few track days and hillclimbs each year, usually driving an hour and a bit to my local tracks, principally Collingrove Hillclimb and The Bend East, a technical 23 corner track second-string track to The Bend.

I’m running 45 mm Webbers, Vizard head, roller rockers, about 10.5 compression with flattop pistons and a 4 kg flywheel (this really transformed it) from TTV Racing in the UK.

I have to say though, the battle for engine reliability is testing my dedication. I’m getting enough power, with good rpm/power balance but head gaskets and oiling are proving troublesome.

David

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
David, good to know that the TVR flywheel is showing better performance. I suspected such as I moved forward with purchasing one last year. I then discussed with TVR to build a lightened pressure plate. They did and you can read about it on SAOCA at https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/aluminum-flywheel.24809/page-4 Page 4.

Also, I'm working on trying to get proper gaskets accommodating the water crescents being welded. Dave the race driver that provided the recent Alpine racing video I posted just before yours and his friend (racing #53 in the video) are working on the logistics.

alpine_64

Donation Time

Here’s a link to a 45 minute film about Australia’s 2022 Historic Winton meeting, showcasing this highlight of Australian historic racing.

At 21:56 there is a two minute segment on the Group S category, which includes a few racing shots of my Series V.

The Winton event is the reason I want to run an Alpine on the track and it’s worth every minute of the all day drive to get there.

In addition to that event, I do a few track days and hillclimbs each year, usually driving an hour and a bit to my local tracks, principally Collingrove Hillclimb and The Bend East, a technical 23 corner track second-string track to The Bend.

I’m running 45 mm Webbers, Vizard head, roller rockers, about 10.5 compression with flattop pistons and a 4 kg flywheel (this really transformed it) from TTV Racing in the UK.

I have to say though, the battle for engine reliability is testing my dedication. I’m getting enough power, with good rpm/power balance but head gaskets and oiling are proving troublesome.

David
David, blendline did a live stream of group S.. The full races are on their channel.
I was very busy with work that weekend and obyl saw parts.. But knowing you ran ill check it wheni get time.

What times did you run at the long track? How was the car in the wet?
What oiling issues are you having?.. Not getting enough up top .. Or lower pressure in corners?

Are you running a high volume pump? Have you made a windage tray and baffled sump?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael, I thought adding an Accusump system solved oiling issues.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael, I thought adding an Accusump system resolved oiling issues.
It should help stop oil starvation.. I don't think it would help with cavitation or if there is an issue with oiling up top... That's why im intrigued "what" oiling issue he is having.

Five Reviver

Silver Level Sponsor
At the moment I’m aware that there is damage apparently from insufficient oil at the front crank main, front cam bearing and the whole camshaft and lifters. This is in addition to the ingress of water into cylinders one and two which appears to have occurred due to a slight ragged edge in the water hole in the head which sits between 1 and 2.

There is no issue with rocker gear oiling because I have previously installed a external feed direct from the pump and up through the side wall of the head.

It’s a case I think of insufficient prep for the severe demands upon it. Likely work now includes MGB fuel pump mod, sump volume and baffling, achieve constant feed to the cam and some work at the front to ensure sufficient oil at start-up.

alpine_64

Donation Time

David

David.

Ill email you later next week...flat out with work atm.... Should be able to sort your HG issues.. Need to talk to you before you do the head work.

10.5 with vizard chamber .. How heavily is head skimmed? Block decked? Assume you were at 0.60 on the bore...even then...thats high for a vizard head thats not skimmed to the side cover bolts...