• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Help please new water pump

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I spoke too soon about success in the last thread. Angered Lord Rootes.
Had it all buttoned down and was pouring anti freeze. I never got to start the car up and saw liquid coming from the same old spot. Pictures enclosed.
The spacer is in place and I put plenty of sealant on every surface except between the backing plate and the pump. I was told not to put sealant there. Was this information correct? Pictures show the area where I saw the leaking.

Please advise. Anyone out there who has recently replaced the water pump on a series V? Please relay your process. I could take it apart again but I don’t know what else to do.

Thanks all
Andrew

Attachments

• 01B2CDA6-8491-46F1-85C2-71CBB5E398C7.jpeg
    01B2CDA6-8491-46F1-85C2-71CBB5E398C7.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 29E390B4-EB68-4896-AD83-FCF329F268F9.jpeg
    29E390B4-EB68-4896-AD83-FCF329F268F9.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 42

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are you sure that coolant isn't coming from the thermostat housing above the water pump?

Mike

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
No I’m not. I will try to give it another look. I did replace the thermostat too.Not sure how to isolate the two areas to find out. Pour water through the upper radiator hose? Any thoughts on how to Isolate the two areas.
Any thoughts on the backing plate gasket?

Heading back out now

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I looked again at the pictures I sent and was wondering if there is any way the pump could be hanging up on the part that houses the thermostat ? My pump bolts are tight!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
You could try wiping a paper towel only on the very bottom edge of the thermostat housing piece (avoid touching the flat area behind the water pump) and see if you pick up some wetness.

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am pretty sure I figured out the problem.
The replacement pump is not shaped the same as the one I took off. Not sure if it is a manufacturing deflect or the wrong pump. The nuts that hold the thermostat housing— the back piece—the one that affixes to to block will not allow the pump to press tight to the block. I am going to write Curt, but I can see it. It is not much material. I could probably grind it off on my grinding wheel. I will try to get a picture.

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pictures of my predicament.

Attachments

• D2B437F1-5E9A-4000-9CDB-32D080BF02A1.jpeg
    D2B437F1-5E9A-4000-9CDB-32D080BF02A1.jpeg
    424.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DB84BD0F-DF4D-4565-B6AB-2EE0B3A18F62.jpeg
    DB84BD0F-DF4D-4565-B6AB-2EE0B3A18F62.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 43

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The issue is quite clear in those photos you posted.

Here is a photo of my setup with an aftermarket aluminum water pump. The pump is quite close to the thermostat housing bolt, but the back side of the pump does not make contact.

upload_2022-4-1_22-26-47.png

Mike

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I tried loosening the 4 bolts and tapping the pump away from the nut with a drift. The pump, as you might have guessed, didn’t move a bit. The pump is also pretty close to the nut on the other side. I couldn’t see clearly if that nut too could be a problem. I sent the pictures to Curt and he was going to mail them to his supplier. He said he has sold a bunch and hadn’t heard anything back.
Not sure how this is going to play out. I suppose I could grind away some of the pump on a wheel— Does anyone rebuild the old pumps?

I guess for now its a waiting game. I hope I didn’t distort the pump or my bolts by tightening it down.
Thanks for hanging in with me. I ‘ll let you know when I hear something
Be well
Andrew

CptTom

Donation Time
I just experienced the same problem with a water pump I received from Curt. In order to install the new pump I had to grind the upper pump case and the offsticker for the bypass hose. Also had a problem with the upper bolt next to the bypass hose. Not enough room for a wrench or socket between the head of the bolt and the pump casing.

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Cpt Tom

Did you report this to Curt?
Would it be alright with you if I mentioned your problem to Curt?

** What do you mean by “ offsticker” ? Do you have any pictures of where you did your grinding?
Thanks for the information and confirming my suspicions. I am guessing a manufacturing issue if my pump is like yours.
An aside: How many times did you take your pump off until you realized what you actually had to do? Mine will be coming off for the third time and (haha) I’m using more antifreeze than gasoline.
Be well
Andrew

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Mike

Doesn’t all that green anti freeze suggest that your pump is standing a bit proud? If you have a problem it looks likemit could be caused not by the bolts like on mine, but by the raised part where the bolt enters. It sure looks like a leak to me.

CptTom

Donation Time
I did discuss it with Curt and he gave me the same response you received. On my first attempt, when I first ran into the problem I assumed it was something I was doing wrong during the instillation. My hands are not what they use to be, I just assume I was not aligning the pump correctly. In order to help with alignment, on my second attempt, I made up 2 alignment pins to guide the pump into position. This eliminated any doubt about alignment. When I tried the pump with the alignment pins I found interference with the timing cover on the bottom and the nuts securing the thermostat housing on the top.

Also of note, the offsticker for the bypass hose was over 3/4 in in diameter. This is much too large for a 5/8 in hose .

After doing the necessary grinding and installing the pump another problem occurred. The bolt attaching the pump to block next to bypass hose could not be completely tightened. This was due to lack of clearance between the head of the bolt and the pump casing. As the bolt was screwed in the clearance between the head of the bolt and casing closed up and there was no longer any space for a wrench or socket. I had to take the bolt out and use a die grinder and burr to remove metal from the pump casing to make enough room for a thin walled socket.

I send a couple of pictures to Curt, I'll attach them so you can see what my situation was.

Tom

al

Attachments

• 20220331_174954.jpg
    20220331_174954.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220331_175340.jpg
    20220331_175340.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220331_181643.jpg
    20220331_181643.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 34

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Mike

Doesn’t all that green anti freeze suggest that your pump is standing a bit proud? If you have a problem it looks likemit could be caused not by the bolts like on mine, but by the raised part where the bolt enters. It sure looks like a leak to me.

That green antifreeze in my picture was the thermostat housing leaking.

Mike

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I did not see a rebuild kit at speedy spares and it said they have shut down service. They do offer a new pump for 85 pds about $111. How do I know if parts sellers are not getting their parts from the same supplier?

I will wait for Curt’s conclusion for the time being. See what he says — what he advises.

I wrote Rick at Sunbeam Specialties to see if he was having the same problems with pumps.

How hard is it to rebuild a water pump? What is the process?

Be well all—
Andrew

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I did not see a rebuild kit at speedy spares and it said they have shut down service.

How hard is it to rebuild a water pump? What is the process?

Be well all—
Andrew

Andrew,

There is a full description of how to rebuild a water pump in the "Cooling" section of the WSM's. Also a "blown apart" illustration of all the parts.

How hard is this procedure? Don't know - I've never seen, or performed, this task. It doesn't seem too difficult if you have the required tools and parts.

https://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/4-Cooling-System-A-1.pdf

Hope this helps,

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for calling my attention to the rebuilding in wsm.
Today I contacted a local company that may be able to do a rebuild. They actually mention Sunbeam on their website.
Anyone heard of “Automotive Friction Company” in Damascus Oregon? I expect to hear from them as to whether or not they can do my pump and cost.
Anyone one have an opinion on whether it is better to rebuild the old or grind down the new?

Be well all
Andrew