• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heater Slide Switches

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Are the heater slide switches the same on both sides of the heater control panel? Are they interchangeable? If not, how do you tell the left side from the right? Thanks for any help.

Rick

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I recently picked up a set of the heater slide switches in fantastic condition and one's wire is twice as long as the other. I'm not sure if it varies by series, though. The ones I bought are purported to be for the III-V range and I have yet to swap them out for the old ones. Mine have some rust on them but my system works so it's something that I'm kind of doing at my leisure.

This might help you out, though: http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/19-Heating-Ventilation-R.pdf

Last edited:

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
What Series? Early Series - definitely not - right side switch was pull out to turn the fan on.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I recently picked up a set of the heater slide switches in fantastic condition and one's wire is twice as long as the other. I'm not sure if it varies by series, though. The ones I bought are purported to be for the III-V range and I have yet to swap them out for the old ones. Mine have some rust on them but my system works so it's something that I'm kind of doing at my leisure.

This might help you out, though: http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/19-Heating-Ventilation-R.pdf

The wire length difference is due to one lever controlling the heat register, which is just under the dash, while the other is controlling the heater valve, which is further out in the engine compartment.

As Mike says, the older series had one lever on the right with the ability to pull out and push in, to engage/disengage a contact. The black wire is snapped off in this photo below, but you can see how the left lever and right lever are different on the early series.

I don't have a later series setup apart, but I don't see any reason they would be different from one another as they are both just pulling cables the same amount.

Rick

P1160924.JPG

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Here's the ones I got that they say work for the III-V. Rixter, I noticed yours has 'screw-ins' for the tips. My tips are more like pegs, which matches one of the broken plastic tips from my installed ones that goes on it. Wonder why they made that change...

Attachments

• switches.jpg
    switches.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 38

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Are the heater slide switches the same on both sides of the heater control panel? Are they interchangeable? If not, how do you tell the left side from the right? Thanks for any help.

Rick
If it’s an early Tiger the slide switch cables come out to the right and are the same angle. On a SV the LH slide switch will angle towards the left, cable to the heater control and the RH slide switch will angle towards the right cable will go to the air control. Just got through going through the same.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick
Hope these help they are of the SV dash which I haven’t changed and believe to be original.-Al

Attachments

• 94302EC7-078D-4A9A-BC88-50672D7AE274.jpeg
    94302EC7-078D-4A9A-BC88-50672D7AE274.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 43
  • 986F6874-4D66-4B25-935D-EE5ED3A2E0F2.jpeg
    986F6874-4D66-4B25-935D-EE5ED3A2E0F2.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 42

thill35803

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just to echo what Rixter said above, The one with the switch has a shorter throw and therefore moves the cable less. I tried to use the lever on the left in the photo above to control the air box on my SV. The result was the dash lever would only go through about half its travel when operating the air box. It took a good bit of head scratching to figure this out.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just to echo what Rixter said above, The one with the switch has a shorter throw and therefore moves the cable less. I tried to use the lever on the left in the photo above to control the air box on my SV. The result was the dash lever would only go through about half its travel when operating the air box. It took a good bit of head scratching to figure this out.

Thanks for your input Tom.

Rick

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Early series cables are the same length, left side heater (water valve) & right side air diffuser.
Series 3 & later the air diffuser cable is much shorter due to difference in air box designs.