• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heater Core Question

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Does anyone know if the heater core for an MG fits an Alpine? The Moss catalog shows one that looks very similiar (they call it a radiator) - maybe an exact match to the Alpine. Moss and the Roadster Factory sell theirs for about $80 to $90. (According to the catalogs I have) SS wants about $150. CS and VB have nil. Mine sprung a couple of leaks that the radiator shop says are unrepairable and/or cost prohibitive to attempt a repair for the price of a new one. Anyone got a good one out there willing to sell?

private post if you want to sell.

Thanks,

Ed

skywords

Donation Time
The originals seem to be a common item found on e-bay. I have bought several there usually for around $50 US.

dmich2

Donation Time
Ed. I've had some very good experiences with Moss. I might suggest you call them with measurements of the Alpines heater and ask if they can tell you those for the MG. If they won't help there, ask them that if you order it and it doesn't fit can you return it. I bet they will allow it. Another thing, when I've ordered from Moss, I get them within 2 days, always.

Good luck. And keep us posted on the results.

Dennis

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
PM Ian

Ed,
Private message Ian he has a few used ones at Tipp City, Ohio. This is why everyone needs to attend a Invasion, chance to pick up those used parts to fix it right ;)
Got my heater core at the invasion, had it tested and all was good. We got it Removed and Replaced and my cooling system has NEVER worked better. I got my leaky heater core available if any one is interested :rolleyes:

Donna
:D

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the responses. I would like to attend an Invasion but distance pretty much stands in the way............like about 2000 miles! Anyway I have secured a good heater core locally so I am back in business. I plan to follow up on the Moss/Roadster Factory connection in regards to heater cores and will imform the list of the results.

Thanks again everyone,

Ed

Vashon Island, WA

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Here' my last word on the subject. After talking with Moss, I believe that the The MG core will work. The length of the MG core or radiator of Moss's is
9 and 1/2 " -- exactly the same as ours. The width and height is slightly smaller than ours (about 1/2 ") so if one purchased one of these for $95 + shipping (new), it would fit but some material to block it up in the cavity would probably be required.

Nice to know that there is a supply and a less expensive solution to a problem that will probably affect more and more of these cores in the future.

Ed

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Uh, yes, I guess. Part # 360-675 in the Moss MGB & MGB-GT catalog. Moss has an online catalog as well as hard copies that they mail out free.

Ed

rnimares

Donation Time
heater core

Hi: I had just purchased a new heater core for my 1964 Sunbeam lV and paid about $140.00, from Speciality Sunbeam. WWW.Rootes.com. Also, just put my heater blower in for repairs (need to replace motor). Anyone had any luck finding a replacement Heater Blower?

nimaresr

mikephillips

Donation Time
I have read that a 60's Ford Falcon motor and fan will work, but you need to alter the plastic case a bit to get it to fit as it's slightly larger. Haven't tried it myself though. I also have found that the motors usually can be made to operate again by way of desassebly and cleaning. No guarantee there but
you might give it a try.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi: I had just purchased a new heater core for my 1964 Sunbeam lV and paid about $140.00, from Speciality Sunbeam. WWW.Rootes.com. Also, just put my heater blower in for repairs (need to replace motor). Anyone had any luck finding a replacement Heater Blower?

nimaresr
There are a couple on US ebay now, a complete Smiths blower untested, and a motor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-H-...ageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

No connection to sellers.

Allan

RootesRich

Donation Time
Thanks for the responses. I would like to attend an Invasion but distance pretty much stands in the way............like about 2000 miles!

No one should let mileage stop them from attending an Invasion. Due to work constraints, my wife and I caught a flight from Denver last year to attend. There's no rule that you have to drive a Sunbeam to attend. All are welcome.
I'm planning on driving this year, but flying will always be my fall back.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
The winner still of the longest driven Alpine was Brian ? from Boise, Idaho.
Now THAT's a long round trip!

rnimares

Donation Time
Ref: heater motor
had heater motor looked at a told that it would have to be completely rewired at a cost of approx. $300.00. I have ordered a new Heater motor from British Victoria Parts for $79.00 hopefully it will fix and work. Question, the heater cable wire broke, can I replace
the wire with any type of strong wire same diameter and just thread it though cable housing seems like it should work.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The winner still of the longest driven Alpine was Brian ? from Boise, Idaho.
Now THAT's a long round trip!
His name is Bryan Gilbreath, and he drove all the way to and from Daton, Ohio, with the top down. He even went through a couple of rain squals with it down. Of course his Alpine is V6 powered, so he could drive at 80 + mph for hours at a time, so the trip was shorter in duration.

Jose :)

skywords

Donation Time

britbeam

Donation Time
His name is Bryan Gilbreath, and he drove all the way to and from Daton, Ohio, with the top down. He even went through a couple of rain squals with it down. Of course his Alpine is V6 powered, so he could drive at 80 + mph for hours at a time, so the trip was shorter in duration.

Jose :)

Bryan will you be at the Invasion this year?
Dwain V6 Krazy