• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Headlight Rims Alternatives

canbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a modified Toyota powered Series IV Alpine, and had one of the headlight rims fly off and disappear. I have a bunch of replacements, and could go through the process of trying to match the paint and keep the headlights looking stock, but am interested about seeing what is out there that I might be able to adapt and is a bit different. The car already has a much larger grill opening, and early Alpine little round turn signals, so keeping it stock looking isn't a concern. I like the flush look of a Mk2 Tiger/ late Alpine headlight rims, especially the chrome ones that came off other Rootes vehicles, like the Husky. However Mk2 rims are worth more than my car....:)

I saw a post on Facebook recently where someone said they adapted a pair of chrome bezels from a Jeep. I looked on ePay and there are a bunch of new ones that are quite cheap. They have a small bent bracket on the inside at the top that looks like it could hook behind the lip, and a screw hole at the bottom. I don't know the overall thickness, and they look round without any contour to match the peak. Maybe they could be contoured a bit at the top for the peak. Any experience with these or any suggestions?

Attachments

• Jeep Headlight Bezel.jpg
    Jeep Headlight Bezel.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 56

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a set of the Hillmann ones that are plated. I had em on eBay.
Sold 3 sets for 400 each and even bought one set when I was all horny for them . I'm taking them to Tiger's United and with the help of the hospitality suite the free beer from Warsteiner I'm sure they will sell.
I've seen some Cobra ones that are round and a budget buy.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I like the peaked original for my 65 series IV. I refuse to pay outrageous prices for them though. I have a pair of 68 VW Beetle stainless ones I am going to modify to fit. Cut a v notch on top and on each side. It flares out too much. I've contacted 2 fiberglass part manufacturers to see if they can reproduce the bottom screw type. but I need a good example to send them and it would have to be a large order.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jim, there have been fibreglass and carbon fibre ones made in uk and usa.. I remeber seeing photos of a decent run of them. Cant comment on fit or finish... But they were reproed

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Michael, There was, but not currently. I'll let you guys know when I hear back. I think with bottom screw and top clip they shouldn't fall off. What would be a fair price? $ 150 for a new, perfect pair? I checked with Regal Tbird and he told me $600. I said you have to be kidding!

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Hey guys, I bought a complete non-running Alpine for the headlight rims and hardtop...for under a grand. YES, that was years ago, but headlight rim prices have gotten redicue...ridecu...redecu...really high!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Supply and demand. Many racer types buy them for the more aero look. If someone needs a set for reproduction I'd get on board. " This means I'll pull my eBay listing and not sell at coming United."
I
did the same with an AC housing using several original units as models, but these are cast pot metal. My mfg. guys cite shrinkage and lack of demand for the numbers to be produced to get any economy of scale. IDK who made the f/g ones but bet you could find out by searching the Tiger email list.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I have got a good response from Dave at Preform. He makes race fiberglass for MG's and Spridgets. He is going to get some parts from a local Tiger racer.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Cool just wanted to let you all know it's not all about making money flipping parts, were all better off if there's a supply of good parts.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey guys, I bought a complete non-running Alpine for the headlight rims and hardtop...for under a grand. YES, that was years ago, but headlight rim prices have gotten redicue...ridecu...redecu...really high!

sounds like my Idea of using an old one for a "mold" and making it out of fiberglass was not such a bad idea ! LOL

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I provided a stock MK2 or late Alpine headlight ring for fiberglass reproduction. Daniel said the early style would be much harder to do. This is a case where you can have all the drawings you want and it's still going to cost a boatload of money to reproduce a part.
But if you have a scanner you could print one out in plastic paint it call it a day. The club had an outing to SEMA one day and they said you can get a membership for around $1,500 and then have access to their scanners... I won't go into the politics of that decision.
PS contact me If you want Daniel's contact information he's making some hoods some LAT reproduction fiberglass fender flares and other bits.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a modified Toyota powered Series IV Alpine, and had one of the headlight rims fly off and disappear. I have a bunch of replacements, and could go through the process of trying to match the paint and keep the headlights looking stock, but am interested about seeing what is out there that I might be able to adapt and is a bit different. The car already has a much larger grill opening, and early Alpine little round turn signals, so keeping it stock looking isn't a concern. I like the flush look of a Mk2 Tiger/ late Alpine headlight rims, especially the chrome ones that came off other Rootes vehicles, like the Husky. However Mk2 rims are worth more than my car....:)

I saw a post on Facebook recently where someone said they adapted a pair of chrome bezels from a Jeep. I looked on ePay and there are a bunch of new ones that are quite cheap. They have a small bent bracket on the inside at the top that looks like it could hook behind the lip, and a screw hole at the bottom. I don't know the overall thickness, and they look round without any contour to match the peak. Maybe they could be contoured a bit at the top for the peak. Any experience with these or any suggestions?
I have used these before I found a set of the peaked rings. The only difference in mounting is the bottom screw is centered whereas the Sunbeam ones are offset. They look good

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
retaining ring.jpg The Jeep chrome rims will fit the retaining rings I bought for my peaked style Harley rims. There is a bottom center mounting screw hole and a slot on top for a clip.

Last edited: