• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Header bolts

mr.vman

Donation Time
Looking for header bolts for the 2.8 V6. All I can find are the Stage 8 locking bolts in 10mm X 1.50. Summit has them, any other bolts available for headers? A recommendation on header gaskets also? Thank you, Steve V.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Vman, DanR here! Here is a good Header Gasket for the 2.8 V6's : Hooker Header 10828HKR

There are a couple other numbers on the package 4526307 & AM04762027 Not sure the relation other than assigned as a made in a Mexico that work nicely with my straight back headers...

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I was pleased with the ARP bolts I got off Amazon. The full-size flange and tiny head made it easy to get a wrench/socket in there. When it comes to bolting down the headers, I found that anything that makes it easier is worthwhile.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Greg, What is the part number for the ARP Bolts you purchased?

I found some ARP's and thought they were either shorter or longer than required.

Besides the cost was extremely high if buying in a quantity for more than one set of headers.

I found some M10 1.50 25 (lg) 12 pt head for less than half ARP's that I will be providing with my Straight Back Headers.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I ended up following recommendations by getting SAE bolts. They were cheaper and more readily available than the metric counterparts.

For 3/8-16 with .75" under head length, ARP's part number is 100-1108. It's about $23 per 16. The hex head is 5/16˝.

For M10-1.5 with 20mm under head length, ARP's part number is 662-1001. It's about $18 per 5. The hex head is 12mm.

Before figuring out the ARP thing, I used cheaper bolts. They cross-threaded and turned into pudding. It was a serious waste of time and money. The ARPs were worth every penny (if for no other reason than the tiny 5/16 wrench fit better in and around the headers). And with Amazon Prime free shipping, they were at my door the next day.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
SAE vs Metric or Versa

Greg, From what you said you went with the 3/8-16 SAE first, discovered they stripped, then bought the Metric at $18 per 5.

Well, I did not like the SAE 3/8 for the Cologne Engine because the entire engine is Metric. I have tried for more than a year to find a good deal on Metric header bolts. Just last week located a company and ordered a hundred of them. Metric M10 1.5 with 12 point head 24 length and hardened.

Cost is less than half the ARP. Shipment is due next week. Will let you know how they work for me.

DanR

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Greg, From what you said you went with the 3/8-16 SAE first, discovered they stripped, then bought the Metric at $18 per 5.

To clarify, I went with parts-store grade SAE bolts first, discovered they stripped, threw them as far as I could and upgraded to the ARP SAE bolts.

Incidentally, I purchased 12-point SAE bolts first and discovered that I have no way to wrench them on (since a socket wouldn't come close to fitting in about half the bolt locations (and I don't have 12-point box wrenches)). So if ever you decide to go the SAE route, let me know and I'll share my wealth. I believe have enough to do two cars.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
My Metric header bolts have a small 12 point head ( 10mm 12 wrench or socket works nicely).

Cost about $1.00 each.... I too shall share:)