• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington Windshield/Roof Edge Seal Question

NN LeMans

Donation Time
I just removed the windshield frame on my Harrington Le Mans (HLM) in order to replace the dash pad. The seal between the body and the bottom of the windshield was there but there was no seal of any type where the front roof edge meets the top of the windshield. The only thing of any moisture barrier was a bead of clear silicone run across the front gap below the drip rail. I have looked at the "Body Fittings" section for the HLM in the parts manual and it shows no seal that I can see. What type of weather stripping was used to seal this area or was it just a bead of sealant? I am not sure if the Alpine soft top/hard top seal will work because of its size and shape. The top of the windshield is "L" shaped as is the front edge of the HLM roof. Any words of wisdom, suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

NN LeMans
1962 Harrington Le Mans
1966 Avanti II

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I just took a look at my HLM and the only seal between the top and the windshield looks to be a bead of dark colored sealer. no sign (or room ) of any gasket. hope this helps.
Jeff

65beam

Donation Time
seal

we're the second owners of two of our lemans and I don't remember either of them having a rubber seal. it's been over thirty years since I removed the windshield on the red car but I don't remember anything but sealer being used. we used a windshield sealer on it when we reinstalled it. our third car was disassembled by ian so I don't know what was on it. I know that I have discussed this with the body shop and we're going to use a yet to be determined sealer when it goes back on.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not sure whether it's factory correct but there was no rubber seal but only grey putty between the roof and the windscreen frame on my project...

NN LeMans

Donation Time
Thanks for all the input. The unanimous response is that Harrington Coachworks did not see fit to put a gasket or weather strip between the top of the windshield and the front of the roof. Therefore I will use a new tube of sealant on the top of the windshield frame and hope it does the job. Again thanks for taking the time to look at your own Harringtons for me.

NN LeMans

napa 1

Donation Time
Sorry this response is a little late, but my understanding is that automotive rope caulking was originally used between the windshield and the roof. I ordered some on line and used it on my HLM.