• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington Web Site

A

AlpineIan

Hey guys... check out the Harrington Web Site at www.harringtonalpine.org

Jan Iggbom and I have been working hard to get this on-line. The registry has pictures of the cars too! :cool:

Enjoy!

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I've not yet seen any of these in person, I'm looking forward to it. What a sweet looking design.. Interesting web site..:cool:

Tom J

Ever Challenging Series V

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Ian, Any idea how many Series 'C' Harringtons still exist?
Talk about rare!
Nice info by the way, never took the time to learn much about our "Hard topped" brothers.
I still think some of us should get together to re-produce some of these.
I'm sure you "real" owners wouldn't care for it much but it would be nice to see some more of them around.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington's

jeff,

it would be easier to reprduce type A,C & D body parts than it would to reproduce the lemans body.the lemans has most of the body cut away behind the doors. it also has a lot of bracing and brackets and plywood framing to attach the top to the car.my second car is currently in two separate garages.the body is in one of my garages at my home, the top in a garage at a rental house.along with the lemans comes a lot of stainless gutter , window frames,hatch props etc.a friend has reproduced seat frames using one of my seats.they are different than seats used in the other series of harrington's.my red car sold for 4200 when sold new. i have often wondered what the cost would be based on todays economy and pricing.find someone willing to mould the roofs.i would like to have a second top myself.since i'm working on another 69,it will be awhile before i get back to working on my second car so the top is just hanging out doing nothing.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Harrington Site

Great job on the Harrington specific web site--it must of taken quite an effort to document this piece of "Sunbeam" history. My hats off to you both. As a thought, maybe a few before and after photos would be of interest, or restoration shots, whatever would prove interesting and useful.
Bill Atalla
B9102814

A

AlpineIan

Ian, Any idea how many Series 'C' Harringtons still exist?
Talk about rare!
Nice info by the way, never took the time to learn much about our "Hard topped" brothers.
I still think some of us should get together to re-produce some of these.
I'm sure you "real" owners wouldn't care for it much but it would be nice to see some more of them around.

Jeff,

We can't be sure, but we believe we may have most of the 'C' and 'D' Harrington Alpines accounted for. We may still find one or two more out there, but this is very close to a full head count. We are missing over half the Le Mans population and the Harrington Alpine is at 20, which means there are still around 90 missing in action.

No plans to reproduce. Cost would be too much. You need to consider making more than just a roof too. There are little details that would drive the price up. Glass, hinges, chrome, interior, etc... a successful conversion would cost over 10K easily.

A

AlpineIan

Great job on the Harrington specific web site--it must of taken quite an effort to document this piece of "Sunbeam" history. My hats off to you both. As a thought, maybe a few before and after photos would be of interest, or restoration shots, whatever would prove interesting and useful.
Bill Atalla
B9102814

Good idea Bill.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
I wasn't thinking of an exact reproduction of all the pieces, just the main fiberglass piece and newer type hardware and windows.
I suppose it really would be a challenge when you consider all the trim and what not.
Details, I always overlook the details in the planning stage. I guess that's why my projects take sooo long to get done from what I thought they would.
The other problem is that then I Overdetail the actuall project!
Double edge sword type deal.

I like the top down anyway.:eek:

Android

Donation Time
Ian/Jan,

Excellent work with the website ! It can only help to increase the profile of our hugely underrated and virtually forgotten marque !

Not wanting to 'put the cat amongst the pigeons' but I spent some time contacting some other Harrington owners over here in UK (particularly series C/D owners),during that time I spoke to Patrick Woodwark (He owns Series 'D' reg 357 RUO/B9205140).Their car has been in the family since new and his father who ordered the car worked for the local Rootes dealership.He (Patrick) is adamant that there were definitely no series 'D' 's based on series 4 bodies made.In other words he stated that he felt all the cars that have surfaced over the years were made from leftover parts.
This,unfortunately it would seem,would include the alleged 'Harrington Tiger' which has always been highly questionable anyway due to the fact that Harrington Alpine production had long ceased prior to the introduction of Tiger rollout.
I guess this once again opens the discussion of what is a true Harrington - and does it include cars made out of bits by ex Robins and Day employees ? I personally think not.
You were looking for extra info on series 'D' so thought it was worth a mention.

Regards Andy Harland

mikephillips

Donation Time
I agree that the Harrington Tiger was probably made either from leftovers or from a donor D-type. Although leftovers is, I think, unlikely since it's been stated a number of times that the molds and unused bits were destroyed when Harringtone was taken over and production ceased. The serial number for the car indicates an early summer 65 build for the car so it couldn't have been done before the end of June 65 or July. Nice car none the less.

A

alpine in calgary

nice attentive work as allways Ian...good to see it done properly.One of the other cars that harrington did (non-sunbeam) was the GT4R-dove..essentially a coupe version of the TR4.It is not as pretty as the sunbeam but a little harder to find.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Great job Ian! I will send you some photos and serial numbers of my cars to add to the site....Eric

65beam

Donation Time
arm rests

the arm rest and the knee pads are a real pain for a guy my size. they're great for smaller people but get in the way of someone 6'2'' and 250#