• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington in Aus

lemansvk

Donation Time
Recently I have heard of a Type B Harrington that may be for sale in Australia. The car in question is said to be in very good condition, restored in the last 10 years and well kept since. So what would one expect to pay for such a car ? - I know that this is somewhat like asking "how long is a piece of string" but opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Vic

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Vic,

I assume that by "type B" you are referring to a LeMans?

Prices on Harringtons seem to be very strong right now and have jumpped in value. I would recomment that you buy now before the price goes higher. There have been three examples that have recently sold...

Jan Servaites'
Tiger Toms
Lionel Ashcrafts

The Ashcraft car was a decent body California car that just sold on eBay for 8K and is being transported to France. The car was an incomplete project and missing some very hard to obtain bits.

Tiger Toms car was completely dissassembled, body in primer but complete. Everything on this car needs rebuilt. When I spoke with Tom about the car he was asking 14K... I don't know what it sold for, but I believe it was in the 11K to 12K range.

Jan Servaites car is a complete car with all the hard to find Harrington bits. New engine, gearbox, OD, and rear end all rebuilt by Jan himself. It's a driver that is ready to go, but needs a lot of work to make it a high point car. I was talking to the buyer and explained to him that it would need a paint job and some body repair. Interior needs redone too. In my opinion this car needs to be taken apart and put back together to get all the detail stuff right. Jan was asking 12.5K for the car and I don't know what he settled on for price with the buyer. It just sold last night. I doubt it went down much in price for a complete driving car like this with matching numbers.

There was also the Le Mans that sold at the RM auction for 28K. A nice correct car should be fetching this kind of money. Vicki is selling her Lake Blue car and is asking 30K It's an unrestored original, one of only a few left in this condition.

Harrington value is more in-line with Tiger value. The key is having a complete car with all the Harrington bits. Completeness, correctness are all biggies for value in the Harrington community. People that are buying Harringtons don't seem to be interested in customization... they are more attracted to the rarity and coach built history.

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Hi,
If you are talking about the 53 coloured Le Mans. It wasn't sold. When it was 13 hrs left of the bidding time. The current bid was AU $ 17000. This was in September -04.

lemansvk

Donation Time
Thanks everyone for your comments, that gives me something to go on. Ian, if I go further with my enquiry I'll get back to you to confer on what I should look for.

Michael, it is a light blue car and given the likely number in Australia we're probably talking about the same one. Do you know anything of it in terms of condition, originality or completeness?

Thanks again, Vic

alpine_64

Donation Time
Vic will mail you, i think there are 2 light blue ones in AU. There was one on ebay in NSW early last year i think.. if its this car i know a little about it.