• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop plexiglass windows

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_2432.JPG IMG_2345.JPG IMG_2350.JPG Recently aquired a complete hardtop that has not been restored on a barn find with good layer of dirt on it. When cleaned the windows are in very good condition no hazing. There is a marking on all 3 with Perspec A.S.4. Does any one know if that was the original plexiglass for Hardtops Series 3-5?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes it is. Hope you got a few good profile photos before cleaning your Alpine we can use for next year's calendar!
Bring it to the Invasion-Diamond in the Rough award contender?! Eric

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Have a couple of shots on the trailer. The car has original paint and no rust through anywhere, but surface rust as you can see. The hardtop was added at some time since the hdtp has rust in the corners. Still in original condition.
Alpine has the rubber floor mats with carpet by the shifter and console. As Bob Webb mentioned he wished someone would make the mats. They would fall apart if I tried to remove them. Motor is stuck, currently soaking pistons with ATF/lacquer thinner combo.
Would prefer to bring something I could drive for diamond in the rough. I know Alan Ballard had a lot of experience with bring barn finds to life and driving them a couple of thousand miles.

Attachments

• IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 97

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_2375.JPG IMG_2370.JPG IMG_2358.JPG Now to figure out who would make them. Here's a better shot. Plus has any one seen this feature on the sill? It's rubber glued to the metal.

65beam

Donation Time
Looks like an addition by a previous owner. Years ago a supplier was selling door seals that were too small which resulted in a gap between the sill and the door seal. It may have been an attempt to seal the gap. I never throw anything away so I still have some of those VB seals if you want to buy them.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's ok Bob, I'll let you store them for a couple more years. The car came from the William Jennings Estate who past Apr 2017. Lived in Mn and started a Midwest Alpine club in the 80's. Had a couple of Tigers and a 53 Talbot besides.
If anyone knows any history it would be appreciated.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Pull the oil pump out. They get stuck and you can break the cam gear if you try to turn it over.

Mike

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike - from what I am finding it seems everything is in need of Lube that rotates. Starter, solenoid, Alternator, front wheels, back wheels......the redeeming factor is that there is no rust thru anywhere on the body, just patina on original paint.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pulled the oil pump, it was stuck. Bought a 1.312 deep well socket to try and break loose, no luck. Heads coming off next.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Heads coming off next.

Your use of the word "Heads" coming off next caught my eye so I had to go back to see if you had found one of those elusive Tigers?

The I realized, I think you meant the Head is coming off next:)

Sure would have been nice to find that lost lost Tiger....Huh?

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
No sorry Dan, so use to referring them as heads I just lost mine. Also to my knowledge the Bill Jennings Black Tiger is MIA according to certain sources.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Got the "head" off, had a burnt exhaust valve and a beat up combustion chamber on #4. With the pan off took the rod bolts off of #1 and #4(rod bearings look brand new). Found that #4 piston is stuck,the rest move. 1-4 are at the bottom so trying to get it to move will ether drive it from the bottom. Any suggestion on how to get one piston unstuck? At this rate it will be easy to pull the motor/trans out of the bottom. Pull the crank, drive the piston out the bottom. Fun things to do when the winter drags on.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Put a combo of ATF/Lacquer thinner 50/50 mix in all the cylinder about 4 weeks. Friend told me of that combo for freeing up motors that have a lot more rust than this one. Told to turn the motor upside down and soak the bottom. Where's the rotisserie? Soaking the last one from the top.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pull the crank, drive the piston out the bottom. Fun things to do when the winter drags on.

absunbeam,

Be very careful if you try driving out the bottom - fairly sure the piston will not clear the main bearing web below the cylinder.

Have fun,
Don

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
DSC_0839.jpeg Was going to take the crank out and drive them out the top when i get the Motor/Trans/front suspension out. It's starting to look like Ricks (SS) short block will be a good deal. I did get a complete disassembled motor with the parts deal (1 piston broke)

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wonder where that is? Was interesting sorting out a lifetime of a Sunbeam collection. Yes there's a 1725 under there.