• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop Gutter Trim Installation

donchiotos

Donation Time
I am having a real issue with the installation of the gutter trim on my 66 Alpine. I cannot get it to snap into place. I align the chrome trim to the hardtop. Them put the top in first and try and push the trim down, to hopefully snap it into place. It never snaps into place! I even tried to use a rubber hammer to tap the trim into place. I even tried to put oil on the hardtop gutter and trim. Still not going in place. Has anyone else had problems getting the trim to fit? Any ideas what I should try?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had the same issues. They do eventually go on, but it's not a walk in the park.
TimR on the forum has a video on this installation. Very worthwhile to watch.
You'll find it in the "how to" section.

65beam

Donation Time
It's a problem with all late hard tops. The trim tends to twist and distort as you remove it. The last hard top I had restored was the one on the green car and when Doug started to install the trim I decided to go to the house rather than watch him installing it.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I found it easiest on the couple I've done to start at the bend over the top quarter windows and work outward from there. I did bend the bit there that tucks under open a touch to avoid it scratching the paint then tapped it back in place once pushed into final position. Doing this you have the ability to twist each end a bit if needed as you work it over the flange.

donchiotos

Donation Time
I finally found the solution to my hardtop side trim being so hard to put on. (As usual the problem is usually in the mirror). When I painted the hardtop I put too much primer and paint on the gutters. What I did was to sand the gutters down to the metal. Them taped the rest of the car so I wouldn't get any paint on anything else except the gutters. Then I put a thin coat of paint on the gutters where the trim clips onto. After that the trim went on fairly easy. I still had to use the rubber mallet to tap into place, but now both sides are installed. Thanks to all who responded to my issue.