1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Start

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by 7539, Dec 9, 2020.

1. 7539

7539 Diamond Level Sponsor

Ok, so I'm not a gear head... not hard to tell, but I have some knowledge... my 64 Alpine is hard to start. It's never been one to start quickly but it's getting worse. Generator is working according to the idiot light. I had a fairly new battery but I took it in and it showed borderline bad so they changed it out for me. But it still doesn't start many times. During the winter I'm leaving it on a trickle charger to make sure it's up and it will start usually with some cranking. But if I drive it around, park it in the garage shut off and then immediately try to restart, it won't... barely cranks. The generator was replaced a couple of years ago but has only about 500 miles on it... what am I doing wrong? Do I need more cranking amps? Thanks all.

2. bobbo

bobbo Gold Level Sponsor

if its barely cranking, could be the starter. Try disconnecting the starter leads, clean them and re-install.
    My best guess for an easy place to start, since we should be able to strike off the battery now.
    Cheers

3. jumpinjan

jumpinjan Bronze Level Sponsor

And look at the grounding strap..well, both the battery & the engine ground straps.
    Jan

4. Jimjordan2

Jimjordan2 Donation Time

Yes, my series V was having a hard time cranking, and an Engine ground strap took care of the problem.

5. hartmandm

hartmandm Moderator Platinum Level Sponsor

Good advice above on things to check.

FYI - Not sure if you meant a battery tender vs trickle charger. A trickle charger will keep supplying a current to the battery even when it is full and will ruin the battery. You want a battery tender instead of a trickle charger. My Alpine has no current drain when the ignition is off, so I don't bother with a battery tender for it. I do have a couple of Battery Tender Plus 1.25 amp tenders that I use on other 12V batteries.

Mike

6. 7539

7539 Diamond Level Sponsor

Thanks everybody...I'll try the grounding strap first...