• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hard Start

Donation Time
Ok, so I'm not a gear head... not hard to tell, but I have some knowledge... my 64 Alpine is hard to start. It's never been one to start quickly but it's getting worse. Generator is working according to the idiot light. I had a fairly new battery but I took it in and it showed borderline bad so they changed it out for me. But it still doesn't start many times. During the winter I'm leaving it on a trickle charger to make sure it's up and it will start usually with some cranking. But if I drive it around, park it in the garage shut off and then immediately try to restart, it won't... barely cranks. The generator was replaced a couple of years ago but has only about 500 miles on it... what am I doing wrong? Do I need more cranking amps? Thanks all.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
if its barely cranking, could be the starter. Try disconnecting the starter leads, clean them and re-install.
My best guess for an easy place to start, since we should be able to strike off the battery now.
Cheers

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Yes, my series V was having a hard time cranking, and an Engine ground strap took care of the problem.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Good advice above on things to check.

FYI - Not sure if you meant a battery tender vs trickle charger. A trickle charger will keep supplying a current to the battery even when it is full and will ruin the battery. You want a battery tender instead of a trickle charger. My Alpine has no current drain when the ignition is off, so I don't bother with a battery tender for it. I do have a couple of Battery Tender Plus 1.25 amp tenders that I use on other 12V batteries.

Mike