1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Happy 50th birthday to our Alpine!

Discussion in 'Modified Alpine' started by crs, Mar 23, 2015.

1. crs

crs Donation Time

My wife bought this Series IV in 1965, so it is officially 50 years old.
    It has been in the family that entire time, has been three different colors, and the V6 is the third engine to power it. It is still fun to drive, especially on a spring day here in Dallas.
    [​IMG]

2. Bill Blue

Bill Blue Platinum Level Sponsor

Golden Anniversary congratulations are in order, so stand back for a second.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Its looking good with the Parish (or is it Parrish?) top. Can never remember. Anyway, I am in the process of redoing ours and am wondering about about your side window seals. I have found the current factory pieces to be totally inappropriate and am using Focus door seals. What do you use and is it effective?

I find the old top to be a well made but poorly designed top. A sort of kit to be modified to fit the individual application and cannot be recommended as an install and drive item. What has your experience been?

Bill

3. George Coleman

George Coleman Gold Level Sponsor

Nice Alpine its good to see people keep them on the road. I have had my 1967 Alpine V since 1971 and I am the second owner, so like you its been in the family for a long time, Congrads. :cool:

4. crs

crs Donation Time

Bill,
    You are correct about the hard top with respect to name and fit.
    My Series II had a factory top that fit like a glove, but this one takes some tinkering and tolerance. I usually leave it on in the winter and store it during the mild months.
    The top window seals are original and work as well as the soft top window seals ( OK if it does not rain. ) :eek: Wind noise is not bad either.

For highway cruising, the hard top seems more quiet than the soft top; also it looks more secure when parking and locking the doors. Naturally, when all closed up, the dxxn electric fuel pump noise is greater, but the exhaust noise drowns that out at speed.

5. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

In reference to the road noise when driving with the hardtop, has anyone considered fabricating a divider between the trunk area and the soft top folding area?

I've toyed with the idea using cutouts of cardboard for a pattern and moved to 20ga metal for the final product.

Not through yet! Still plan to add Lizard Skin and Dynamat as a sound deadener.

Any idea?

6. Bill Blue

I considered it, but had a rare attack of practicality and the notion dropped dead. I decided that making a panel that would not vibrate and making a good seal was beyond more than I wanted to tackle.

I also like the idea of being able to access the boot latch bolts in case of latch failure.

I have lined the outside of the top bag (the bag the top rests in) with a heavy closed cell foam rubber. I think it helped. Pretty sure it did not make matters worse. Also applied the foam rubber to all the metal surfaces in the area.

Bill

7. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

As usual Mr Bill you reminded me of the potential problem of the trunk latch.

Also, it gave me an idea just now of making a trap door (of sorts) large enough to reach through to the latch.

Maybe it is not practical! But, as an added safety factor, it could be a divider between the Trunk where the fuel tanks are situated and the passenger/driver compartment. I believe the '64-'65 Mustangs were similar ?

DanR

8. Bill Blue

Dan, I did not mean the idea is impractical, just impractical for me to do it. Not the best choice of words. Maybe impossible would be a better choice.

I am not good at making that kind of stuff. Add in the location of the required panel and I'm at a real disadvantage. I am way too old, fat and short.

I'll leave it to you youngsters. (thats a joke)

Bill

9. Chuck Ingram

Chuck Ingram Donation Time

We bought a series 3 GT back in 1965 Still,in the family as our so has had it for the last 20 plus years. Right now it needs a total,restoration. New floor boards for sure. Outer rocker panels. Lower front fenders need to be done Amazing though that's about it for body work.

10. Charles Johns

Charles Johns Donation Time

Noise

DanR, I installed one of the metal barriers between trunk and passenger area on my 65 Mustang and glued 1/4" foam to it to help noise. It worked. If I can ever get the engine rebuild of the 200 six back in the Stang I'll look at inventing a "wall" for the trunk. It sounds like that is a noise area. Usually wood/fiber board work best as they kill sound better and by adding foam it should be even quieter. I have replaced the twin tanks with a Summit poly 16 gallon one so while I am in the area...maybe a wall is possible. We'll see.

11. Charles Johns

Charles Johns Donation Time

Noise

In reference to soft top/hard top wind noise, fuel pump noise, I am reminded of a friend who lived in a house with no women. It was a Mess to say the least. I once asked him if he had mice or rats? He told me "NO, the roaches ran them off"! THAT is a true story!