• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

GT Door Waist Rolls on an NON-GT Car

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello Sunbeamers…I’ve done some research and reading but what I’ve found is bits and pieces, so I’m asking for your input.

I am interested in using GT door waist rolls on my Series V. I realize it is not original but it would tie in nicely with the two-tone interior that I did on my car.

Here is my question…are the waist rolls ‘plug in play’ use adding to a non-GT car (I have gathered they are not) and if not, is there a workaround that anyone has come up with to make them work and would you mind sharing what that workaround is?

From what I’ve seen, I believe that I at least need some type of spacers behind the top of the door cards. Is that correct?

As always, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

alpine_64

Donation Time
There are quite a few differences. The waist rolls sit out. They can be fitted by drilling the mounting holes into the door pressing along the upper arae where the trim clips fit...easy.

However as you state.. They sit out further. A series of small top hat brackets are welded around the door to space the door cards. This also means thw window crank mount and door handle mounts have longer posts to make up the additonal distance.
There is also a deeper 1/4 window base to align to the waist roll.. This isnt essential but does make it look tidy.

Iirc randy W used to offer the small top hat spacers to help tiger guys convert ST doors into GT doors.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oh thanks I've been wondering how I was going to pick out all the square corner door window regulators from the round corner door window regulators in my piles :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oh thanks I've been wondering how I was going to pick out all the square corner door window regulators from the round corner door window regulators in my piles :)

Warren.. There are more sqaure corner ST regulators that GT ones..... They came in both styles... But will help you identify GT/ ST ....
As a side note.. There are long mount ones in yhe round corner GT S3/IV alpines that had the lower mounting for the window crank designed to skin your knuckles on the handbrake

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tod,
All mentioned differences are what you'd be up against, plus the door cards are completely different. They are actually
smaller than the ST's and have metal stiffeners at the edges. The "hats" mentioned already step the panel out from the
door and there is a chrome (or stainless ) trim part that goes where the dovetail hits the door. You'd have to take your panels,
strip them, get the GT panels ( they might be available from Sunbeam Specialties, last time I bought them, probably 10 years
ago , they were $75) and get all the stiffeners plus what others have said ( different quarter light bases (very expensibe if
you can even find them)

Don't want to dissuade you from your intentions but figured you'd want to know this before taking this on. Just as an aside
I did a "GT" style door panel on my car using ST cards. Didn't use the waist rolls but kinda got the same effect.

Cheers!
Steve

IMG_1319.JPG

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Warren.. There are more sqaure corner ST regulators that GT ones..... They came in both styles... But will help you identify GT/ ST ....
As a side note.. There are long mount ones in yhe round corner GT S3/IV alpines that had the lower mounting for the window crank designed to skin your knuckles on the handbrake
"sqaure corner ST regulators that GT ones..... They came in both styles"? Thats news to me.

It's documented that the length of the pedestal for the door remote control (that is, the door opening handle) is longer on the GT and late Tigers due to the door cards. But I know of and cannot find anything to support a difference in the regulators. The 6600992 parts manual makes no mention of any "GT" specific window regulator but does differentiate the remotes.

Please support or document this claim.

Rgds, Mark ..... v

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Wow

First of all, thanks to all for so many quick and detailed responses. I can always count on you guys to shed some light, whatever the subject.

Secondly, it looks like the project is going to be more that I want to tackle, especially with scarcity of specialty parts involved.

I'm sure they had there reasons but MAN did Sunbeam seemingly make a mountain out of a molehill to add a couple more inches of finishing to the interior of the doors.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Generally there is a felt spacer glued onto the back of the door cards, kinda like a doughnut that keeps the regulator post at the correct depth. I'm not sure ST's had them, but GT's certainly did.

alpine_64

Donation Time
"sqaure corner ST regulators that GT ones..... They came in both styles"? Thats news to me.

It's documented that the length of the pedestal for the door remote control (that is, the door opening handle) is longer on the GT and late Tigers due to the door cards. But I know of and cannot find anything to support a difference in the regulators. The 6600992 parts manual makes no mention of any "GT" specific window regulator but does differentiate the remotes.

Please support or document this claim.

Rgds, Mark ..... v
Mark was referring to the length of the munti2ng1 pedestal in both ST and GT to warren saying that that he cant identift a square corner cars reg by length of the mounts as they jad both ST and GT lengths in SV cars and that there were more st ( short spec) than GT as while all tigers went to the long styles most alpines are ST.
sorry for the confusion in the answer to warrens comment

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Sadly I had full GT door parts. The door panels were bad. So I took off the metal edges and dutifully taped them together and onto a piece of wood to keep them straight when I shipped them to Martha with other stuff to redo my interior. When it all arrived, I did not get GT doors and my metal was nowhere to be seen. I called Martha and she had no idea. I have no reason to suspect she kept them for someone else. She must have thought the wood was just a piece of wood and threw them out.

So I redid my doors as ST doors. I kind of like those better because I like to see the painted metal inside.

I'm grateful for this thread because it reminded me that the door and window mechanisms I have in the rafters are special for GT. The door toppings and quarter windows are obvious. Admittedly, I certainly knew this distinction back then - but with time I forgot (and might forget again at some point).

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Sadly I had full GT door parts. The door panels were bad. So I took off the metal edges and dutifully taped them together and onto a piece of wood to keep them straight when I shipped them to Martha with other stuff to redo my interior. When it all arrived, I did not get GT doors and my metal was nowhere to be seen. I called Martha and she had no idea. I have no reason to suspect she kept them for someone else. She must have thought the wood was just a piece of wood and threw them out.

So I redid my doors as ST doors. I kind of like those better because I like to see the painted metal inside.

I'm grateful for this thread because it reminded me that the door and window mechanisms I have in the rafters are special for GT. The door toppings and quarter windows are obvious. Admittedly, I certainly knew this distinction back then - but with time I forgot (and might forget again at some point).
Wow...that's bad about losing your pieces. As you said, I'm sure Martha wouldn't have done anything intentional.
It turns out the conversion would be more than I wanted to tackle, especially with parts availability to worry about.

Hope you're doing well...