• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ground strap question

mr.bridger

Donation Time
Fellow beamers,after a recent clutch job,the ground strap on the trans bracket doesn't seem to be in the correct spot,I left it attached to the bracket,then removed the bracket,now I don't remember where it was attached to-the body? the trans case? it's messing with the starter-it even had the hydraulic line from the clutch master to the slave get very hot! A definite indicator that I'm not grounded correctly-I also think I fried the starter solenoid! If someone could take a quick look at the correct placement,I'd be very grateful! Thank's one and all-P.S Just want to mention that I love this forum,it has been a shining light through the dark hours of restoration. Thankyou to all responsible for starting and upkeeping this site,I'm sure I speak for many when I say "we couldn't have done it without you" Cheers!:)

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Proper grounding includes the following: battery to engine block; block to body and block to frame. Additionally a strap between the battery and the frame is desireable. This is the best way to ground the electrical system and is the way almost all cars and trucks are grounded.

The Sunbeam configuration is slightly different due to the location of the battery:

For Sunbeams the battery is grounded to the body. There must be a ground between the body and the frame and a ground between the body/frame and the engine. The engine is grounded through a strap between the body/frame and one of the transmission mounting bolts. (Any suitable engine or tranny bolt can provide the ground to the engine.)

Provide a clean, dirt/grease free connection to the body/frame and the engine block.

Good grounds are critically important. The fact your hydraulic line is getting hot is an indication your system is incorrectly,grounded.

Pete

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The strap should have one end under one of the bolts that attach the lower bracket to the body, and the other end of the strap should be under one of the nuts that holds the upper half of the bracket to the rubber mounting pads.

See fig 3 on page 5 here:
http://www.rootes1725cc.info/wsm145/WSM_E/E.htm

The figure does not show the strap, but you can see that the bracket, item 13, is two seperate metal pieces and the two rubber isolator blocks. The strap must bridge the rubber blocks. And as Pete says, be sure to have a clean, surface for the bolts and nuts that anchor the strap.

Note that nothing in the way of a poor ground could have harmed your starter solenoid. Yes, the heating of your hydraulic line clearly shows it was the replacement ground path, but that would not harm the solenoid.

Tom

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The idea to ground the engine is to jump over the rubber transmission mounts. The strap connects to one of the eight trans-mount/body bolts; The other end is fastened to one of the transmission's tail shaft housing bolts.
Jan