• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Getting Fuel Compression Adaptor Fitting Back on Fuel Line

Steeman01

Donation Time
How does one get the compression adaptor (fitting) back on the fuel line? It is such a tight tolerance, I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to "slip" it back on (see picture)??

TIA

Attachments

• PXL_20211017_232815677.jpg
    PXL_20211017_232815677.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 67

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
What is in the photo? It looks like two pieces, one inside the other. Only the compression ring should go over the tube.
Bill

Steeman01

Donation Time
Hey @Bill Blue, sorry I was a little more clear. That is the black nylon fuel line going to the fuel pump. I need to get the compression fitting on before I can attach it with the nut. However the tolerances are so tight I can't figure a safe way of getting that compression attachment on without damaging the nylon tubing...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'd suggest you clean the end of the plastic fuel line making it very smoot and even slightly (just a tiny bit) beveled then use a "like" fitting to pressure the compression fitting onto the fuel line.

Not sure I am making my self clear But, I have done similarly on my Alpines.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steeman01,

The ferrule in your photo is very mangled. I suggest you try to pick up a new one. Then, you shouldn't need to torque the fitting to "mangle and destruction" ft.-lbs. to enable a seal around the line.

I don't recall the tubing size, whether 5/16 or 3/8 inch, but I know McMaster-Carr carries replacement brass ferrules for copper tubing in both sizes that should be the same, possibly a bit harder or thicker than OE. The 5/16 size might be a bit more challenging to find locally, though. Lowes, Home Depot, a good "hardware store" with a plumbing section, or possibly a plumbing or HVAC contractor might all be possible places to find them.

Just a thought and hope it helps,

Don

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey @Bill Blue, sorry I was a little more clear. That is the black nylon fuel line going to the fuel pump. I need to get the compression fitting on before I can attach it with the nut. However the tolerances are so tight I can't figure a safe way of getting that compression attachment on without damaging the nylon tubing...
In my own, obtuse way, I was questioning if that was a ferrule, as I've never seen one that long. They (and I've seen a LOT of them) are the length of the center portion of your ferrule. Nor are they that robust. The ferrule must be "collapsed" into the tube so it is held there while being water tight. Your ferrule seems much too robust. All of which makes me wonder if you have not picked up a very special use ferrule and is the problem.

Bill

Steeman01

Donation Time
Hey @Bill Blue, it very well could be (as I am the 3rd owner), but it looked untouched (which really means nothing).

I have found little funky things here and there as I work on this SV.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
That is a 1/4" tube ferrule and it appears to be used - you need a new one - they can't be re-used. The end of the tube is pretty ragged as well, that needs to be cleaned up.

Steeman01

Donation Time
Thanks everyone! I am gonna use a pipe cutter to trim a clean edge and get a new ferrule! I'll let ya know how it goes!

SP

Steeman01

Donation Time
Hey all, so yeah, not sure what I was thinking trying to reuse a "compression fitting", in hind sight, it is quiet stupid.

Nevertheless, I got the right size NEW compression sleeve, a 5/16" sleeve, and all went perfectly from there...

Thanks to everyone and apologies for the bonehead thinking!! Haha.

SP