• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas Tank Pressure Equalization Hose

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
When using an excess fuel return system, would it be okay to return the fuel to the tank at the pressure equalization hose? I'm thinking of a tee located at a tank.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't see any reason why plumbing the return line into the "pressure equalization hose" would not work. It is not good practice to return fuel through vent lines, but the "wing tank pressure equalization hose" in Series 3/IV/V Alpines is not vented and any difference in return flow to the wing tanks would be balanced out by the large diameter "crossover pipe".

The "pressure equalization hose" (as well as the supply and return hoses) should be SAE J30-R9 (aka, "fuel injection hose") fuel hose which is resistant to ethanol, has low permeability to prevent gasoline smell and is reinforced to handle up to 100 PSI.

There is the possibility of pressure in the fuel return lines, so all hose to metal tube connections should be properly clamped.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I thought about it overnight and decided that additional comments are needed.

My preference would be a separate return line fitting into one of the wing tanks, but that typically means welding or soldering on a tank that may have already been cleaned / sealed.

Something like this might be a way to have a separate return line without welding or soldering.

I still don't see any reason why plumbing the return line into the "pressure equalization hose" would not work.

Last edited: